Sachin Tendulker

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,089
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Just thought I would mention him. Due to retire soon. Puts him in the Jens Voigt category. Who else should be in the 'Superstar Table' of top superstars?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Dunno but yes, arguably the greatest cricketer ever?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Brian Jacks
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Given that modern tests are at about 10 - 15 per year it is hardly surprising the number of runs he has scored but he has the obvious skills to do that.

I would though go further back to Don Bradman. One in three innings - not matches - was a century. In 62 tests he scored 14 double centurys and had a test average of 99.45.

However impossible to compare different eras just suffice it to say both were by a long way the best of their times, but to use 'greatest' is debateable.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    The Indians are bonkers about cricket aren't they and he is treated almost like a god. Been watching the 20/20 thing and the crowd goes mental when he's batting and it just goes quiet when he's out. Yes I agree it's best of the era
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Phil Taylor - Darts

David Bryant - Bowls
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I've heard there is even a plaque at his home ground that reads, 'if cricket is religion, sachin is god'. That is some serious fan worship right there.

The GOAT for any sport will always be debatable, but there is no denying he is one of the very best in recent times.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    World class without a doubt
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Even ignoring the amount of runs he has scored, it’s incredible that…

> He has had a TWENTY FOUR year long career at the pinnacle of his sport (made his debut in 1989!)

> Has had the expectation of a billion people on his shoulders yet has never crumbled under it.

> Also, given all the adulation, he’s always come across as a very modest, dignified guy.

If I’m honest, I still think Brian Lara is the greatest batsman I’ve ever seen but Tendulkar genuinely is a legend (a totally over-used word, but one he actually deserves).
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Just thought I would mention him. Due to retire soon. Puts him in the Jens Voigt category. Who else should be in the 'Superstar Table' of top superstars?

Daley Thompson
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    AH yes but he was too much of a shrinking violet to qualify. :wink:
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Max Woosnam, read a book about him a few years ago, absolutely fascinating .
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • you are paying him the ultimate respect by spelling his name wrong.
  • little master, one of the best ever, not the best. not the most entertaining, if i have to watch as an impartial bystander, give me brian lara anyday over sachin, if there playing for my team give me sachin, but then i suppose its style over substance.

wont see one like him again.
  • Sachin Tendulkar is a legend. Up there with the other cricketing greats, just behind Monty Panesar
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    thing about Tendulkar
    most cricket fans would say 'I want to see Sachin score a big one and [my team] to go on and win'

very few sporting stars achieve this, I don't think many have said this about Ponting for example
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    If you are looking for superstars of sport then in rugby I would nominate JPR (how many people in any sport are known just by three initials), Barry John and the famous Pontypool front row. Steve Redgrave - not only for the Olympic success but just for being able to put your body through all that for so long. This being a cycling site then I would throw in Merckx, Kelly and Hinault to name just a few.
  • we are not, now f ack off back to the where was i thread!

if we are, then phil the power.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    we are not, now f ack off back to the where was i thread!

if we are, then phil the power.

Um, from the OP
    the OP wrote:
    Who else should be in the 'Superstar Table' of top superstars?

Of course, I'm assuming he means sporting superstars but if not I'll add Tom Jones and The Who :wink: