First time buyer. First time biker

gtic24
gtic24 Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Ive decided to take up biking for fitness and to get myself out the house a bit more. Other than cycling to work on a very old bike I know nothing about bikes or mountain biking.

im about to buy a new bike tomorrow from my local store and im undecided between the following -

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtai ... nalog-275/

or

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 861/56889/

any advise on the brands/specs for a newbie?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Giant is horrible, nasty fork, very basic spec.
    The Cube is a bit better, and the best of those two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The best advice is to test ride bikes in your price range and see which you like the look and ride of. Then check the reviews on them, most bikes in any price range are very similar with few really good or really bad bikes. There are plenty of other brands my wife's bikes is from Trek, my mountain bike is from Specialized both of which we enjoy riding on or off road.

Also look at the 2013 sales currently on where brand new 2013 bikes are being sold at reduced prices. We got 25% off my wife's bike that way.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have a look at the Rockrider bikes from Decathlon and Voodoo and Carrera bikes from Halfords.
    At this price, unless heavily discounted avoid big brands like Specialized, Giant, Trek, Scott etc. Cube arent too bad.
  • The problem with test riding as a newb is that you have no idea what the thing is supposed to feel like. After 100 hours of riding you will have a completely different view of what is right and wrong.

IMHO there are two approaches.

1. If you are wealthy and prepared to almost write off the purchase cost (don't believe what anyone tells you. Second hand sale values for bikes are shite) then buy whatever you like that feels good now. A good supplier will make sure you buy something fundamentally suitable and it can be reconfigured over time.

2. Buy a popular brand or a second hand bike. Either way it will have a good second hand value if if turns out to be a mistake.

Zz
  • gtic24
    gtic24 Posts: 5
    Hi all, thanks for your replys.

I ended up walking away with a Focus Black Forest 4.0 27.5r

Feels great, hopefully I will get plenty of use out of it.