Replace Dura Ace 7900 20 HOLE REAR hub ??

dommyd
dommyd Posts: 205
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Anyone got any ideas that might work here ? I've posted a Wanted Ad but thought perhaps someone here might have something helpful to ffer ( :wink: ), some advice perhaps ...

I need a Dura Ace 7900 series 20 HOLE REAR hub to replace a knackered one in a DA C35cl 7900 rear wheel that has seen little use so worthwhile trying to salvage the rim.

Apparently its normal for the rims to wear down/crack before the hub goes so its not impossible that someone out there might have a 7900 series rear wheel, pref a C35, with a damaged or worn rim and be looking to make a bit of ££ from it rather than simply chuck it out given the difficulty/cost involved in sourcing replacement rims.

Alternatively, a 7850 hub might do the trick - anyone got any views on that ?

For various reasons due to shimano's proprietary spokes and nipples, the number of holes in the rim and fact the hub takes straight pull spokes, its very difficult (erm, nigh on impossible... ) to find an alternative hub that fits this rim (or rims to fits these hubs...) so if you have a suitable wheel with a damaged/worn out rim please get in touch via PM or email to collier.dominic@gmail.com

And in case anyone asks, as far as I can tell Shimano do not stock a 20h DA rear hub as a spare part, despite using them on most of not all of their DA and RS series wheels ......why would they when they can compel people to buy another wheel :twisted:

But if anyone can source one for me I'll be eternally grateful and buy 'em a beer (or two!)

Dom

Comments

• Write me a PM, I might (or might not) be able to find you one
    left the forum March 2023
  • dommyd
    Write me a PM, I might (or might not) be able to find you one

cheers mate, have done

ps I'm pretty local (surbiton, Surrey) if that makes any odds.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What is stopping you using a hub drilled for J-bend spokes. New spokes will be needed but it is another option.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dommyd
    What is stopping you using a hub drilled for J-bend spokes. New spokes will be needed but it is another option.

hi, thanks for your post, yes that is an option but my concern (based on email exchanges with two wheelbuilders, so not just me) is that a standard J bend spoke won't be compatible with the shimano nipples, which are non standard. Personally I think it should be fine and others have expressed that view but it makes sense (well, it should :roll: ) for compatibility to be less of an issue with another DA hub.... :?:
  • dommyd wrote:

hi, thanks for your post, yes that is an option but my concern (based on email exchanges with two wheelbuilders, so not just me) is that a standard J bend spoke won't be compatible with the shimano nipples, which are non standard. Personally I think it should be fine and others have expressed that view but it makes sense (well, it should :roll: ) for compatibility to be less of an issue with another DA hub.... :?:

The nipple section is wider, but it should take a normal 2 mm thread inside. Not easy to remove all the spokes without breaking any of the fragile alloy nipples though
    left the forum March 2023