Cheap Shimano 501's for Winter?

arranj
arranj Posts: 66
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Subject says it all really...

I've been looking for a new wheelset recently and the realisation dawned that even if I did spend £150-£200 on an average wheelset I will probably ruin them over the winter.

My current stock Triban wheelset is a nightmare, spokes coming loose, out of true every week due to the spokes, not to mention the shocking bearings that just don't like to roll.

So really, a nice £67 pair of 501's for winter training then maybe some Planet x model b/c come the warmer weather, sound like a plan to keep me rolling over the next few months?

Comments

• Quite so, you might be able to pick up some 500's going cheap too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I don't know how durable they are for the winter, a mate had a pair for his commute last winter and the bearings were full of brown sludge after a few months, he took them to the LBS and they're a write off.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bozman wrote:
    I don't know how durable they are for the winter, a mate had a pair for his commute last winter and the bearings were full of brown sludge after a few months, he took them to the LBS and they're a write off.
    Could be that they didn't have sufficient grease in them to start with? My CX stock front wheel was swapped out on warranty after a month (Jan-Feb) of riding and brown sludge in the bearings... it's been fine since!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Slowbike wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    Could be that they didn't have sufficient grease in them to start with? My CX stock front wheel was swapped out on warranty after a month (Jan-Feb) of riding and brown sludge in the bearings... it's been fine since!

That could be true, the same thing happened with the Giant wheels that the TCR came with in the first place, we'll see how long the Shimano RS21s last now, I don't know how durable these wheels are if you commute throughout the winter.
    I'm using the rear 501 on my turbo and it's rough as.... but it does a job.
  • Ribble are usually pretty cheap for wheels,
    an extra 10% off at moment with discount code move10
    Geoff
  • arranj
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm using the rear 501 on my turbo and it's rough as.... but it does a job.

You evidently have never used a stock Triban wheel ;)
    I think I might take a punt with that 10% code, £62 quid for winter wheels...can't really go wrong can you?!
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    My RS10s have proven surprisingly durable - done 2200 miles on them with no maintenance at all including lots of riding in the wet. Still roll well and are true. You can get a pair from ribble for £84 at the moment.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himwhfr362
  • arranj
    My only issue is are they going to cope with 240lb rider ;)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    arranj wrote:
    My only issue is are they going to cope with 240lb rider ;)

240lb is a bit heavy yes but there's no listed weight limit I can see and really for £63 with the MOVE10 code http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart. ... R202&bike=

you can't go wrong, I have these and even with such a low spoke count i've not had and loose or broken spokes.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • arranj
    Well they've been ordered, I suppose I'd better try and fine some spare spokes just in case!!