Nukeproof Scalp

SlipperlySlope
SlipperlySlope Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
....another "what size bike should I get" query I'm afraid......

So I'd like to try a bit of DownHill and want to get my first DH bike. Some good deals on Nukeproof at the moment and thinking about the Scalp.

Cant find anywhere to do a test ride. I'm just about 6 foot at a stretch (34 inch inseam). Nukeproof say up to 5'11" is medium and over that is Large.

Always have this issue with bike sizes and usually go large. Have a large Norco Sight at the moment.But wondering if a DH bike should go a bit smaller.

Anyone with experience of the Scalp and could offer a bit of advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ste

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Enter Rockmonkey...
  • pesky_jones
    When spending the amount of doe your thinking about spending, it's almost essential you demo some of the bikes out!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout to say its so indivdual, most companies say i should be a large at near 6'2" but due to body shape large is too long so end up with a medium and a slightly long post to be comfortable.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Im 6'1" and my large Scalp is about right.
    It's not a particularly long frame for a large.
    It's a great ride, very easy to ride fast. I have ridden a Pulse as well and it feels exactly the same as the Scalp.
  • Cheers lads.

Yeah, its madness not testing but its just one of those bikes no stores stock in the Republic of Ireland.

But the deals on CRC are tempting.

they just have the medium left for the one I'm looking at, was hoping someone would say they were around my height on a medium. but looks like Large is the right size.

6 foot is a sh!t height for bikes. right between sizes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I tried a medium before I bought mine and it felt tiny.
    You don't want a downhill bike which is too small, it will be very awkward to steer and your weight will be in the wrong place.
    I know a couple people under 6 foot who ride large Scalps.
  • Right that decides it so. Nukeproof will have to wait.

Think I'm going to go for a Large Canyon Torque FRX so.

thanks again.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have also ridden a Torque FRX Speedzone. It doesn't even come close to the Scalp. It feels more like a dh bike from 7 or 8 years ago. The rear suspension is just too linear and the geometry isn't right.
    Have a look for a used Scalp. There's a good reason why around 30% of bikes at dh races are either Scalp's or Pulse's.
  • cheers, will do.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,667
    If you're after a bargain:
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Gravity/TuEs-2.0-Comp?x17283=hiah91pscovf0ld1mee9b8nka3
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Gravity/TuEs-20131

Unfortunately looks like it's another one where you're bang on the dividing line between medium and large.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not ridden a YT but I know four people who bought a Tues downhill bike and none of them kept it more than a year. No idea what was wrong with it. Strangely three of them ended up with a Trek Session 8.
  • Stevo_666
    Not ridden a YT but I know four people who bought a Tues downhill bike and none of them kept it more than a year. No idea what was wrong with it. Strangely three of them ended up with a Trek Session 8.
    I've heard from a few happy Tuesday customers on the interweb. Seems like the biggest gripe was on lead times and if something wasn't right when it turned up given it's direct sales. Not heard of people not liking the riding though, but a lot may be down to taste?

Can't deny it's a bargain though. I'm keeping an eye out to see if they do another limited edition job end of this year.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pesky_jones
    I think people buy the YT, break it down and sell it as parts. Such good value.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I know of people who have bought them for the parts and swapped the frame for something better.
  • Stevo_666
    I know of people who have bought them for the parts and swapped the frame for something better.
    In what way was the frame they swapped to better?