Mudguards for Carrera Subway with disc brakes

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi everyone

I'm after some mudguards for my commuter bike now that the weather is turning, but I'm not having much luck as they all seem to say not suitable for bikes with disc brakes.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My wheels are 26" with 1.95 tyres.

2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Do you want full length ones or just short ones? If you can cope with short ones then I'd recommend SKS Beavertails.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sks- ... -prod25804
  • andy46
    I was hoping to get full length guards, I have Crud rear and downtube guards but they don't offer as much protection. There's no wash facilities at work so I'd like full guards.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• andy46
    Looking at the Beavertails they could be better than what I have, and cheap too :)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• CJPJ
    CJPJ Posts: 7
    I'vejust fitted these today http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks ... d-ec004914 to my Trek 7.2 FX Disc.

They are great - slimline, robust, don't rattle and have excellent coverage. I had to bend the front left holder a tiny bit to avoid the caliper but 2 second job.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you have eyelets you can fit bolt-on mudguards. You may need to bend the metal stays to route under or around the brake calipers or get creative. Bolt-on 'guards are always better than the alternatives.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a beavertail style one on my disc braked hybrid, works perfectly well, trick is to play with it a bit to get it as close to the tyre as possible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.