Can I swap 9spd for 10spd Cassette?

jacksomd
jacksomd Posts: 49
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

I've been given an older pair of wheels (Mavic Open Pro rims on Simano 105 hubs) that have a Shimano 105 9 spd cassette on them. They are about 10 years old. I want to use them as winter wheels on my Planet X to avoid using my Campagnolo Eurus wheels in the crap weather over the winter. The Campag wheels have a 10spd Ultegra cassette on them and are used on my Planet X with 10 spd Ultegra shifters. These are the older Ultegras (about three years old).

Can I simply take the old 9 spd cassette off these wheels I have been given and replace it with a 10 spd cassette so that I can use these wheels with my Planet X or is it more complicated than that?

Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Marcus

Comments

• For the most part yes, the same hubs are used for 8,9,10 speed. 11 speed is different.
  • Sorry to be dim, but is it simply a matter of taking the 9 speed cassetee off and putting on a 10 spd cassette? If the hubs are the same then I would suspect that this is the case but I've leant in life that you shouldn't neccessarily assume! :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yes, you should be able to stick a 10 speed Shimano cassette on there and off you go. 10 speed Shimano 105 / Ultegra / DuraAce cassette would need the 0.5mm spacer that should be supplied with them. 10 speed Tiagra has the spacer effectively built in.

Might need a new chain if the existing chain and cassette have worn significantly together
  • Spacer needed because 10sp cassettes are actually narrower than 9sp.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Spacer needed because 10sp cassettes* are actually narrower than 9sp.

*with the exception of Tiagra 10 speed