2014 Boardman Team FS - new pix

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    kammybear wrote:
    I initially decided to keep it stock as I see it as a stopgap bike to see if a full suss is worth it and it is!

I've got a Reverb to stick on it but after a few near misses due to the pedals being awful, looks like I'll have investing in larger pedals :oops:

It's not down to the size of the pedals, rather the lack of grip. The difference a decent pair of flats with pins makes is nothing short of game changing. I got some Wellgo B54s cheap (discontinued), and with those and a cheap pair of No Fear skate shoes from Sports Direct the grip is brilliant No slipping at all, even on steep or rocky trails, or down the Hope Line - if you want to move your foot you actually have to lift it up off the pedal to reposition.

I'd get a chainstay protector on it asap or the paint will be knackered in no time. I found a change of bars and stem (740mm and 70mm) made a big improvement for me. I'd ditch those plastic Contis too, they'll soon have you on your arse at this time of year :wink: They're a pig to get on and off if you pick up a puncture too.

I want a Reverb for mine. Can I have yours? :wink:
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    Get some 5.10's as well if you're going for flats.
    I can recommend DMR Vaults. Got several seta and they are worth every penny.
  • Probikeshop - £160 inc delivery :wink:

I have a pair of Shimano Saints on my Cube which I'm going to swap over once my pedal wrench arrives so that'll sort that problem!

The Xkings weren't too bad today!
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:

If you like soggy feet at this time of year... :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    Probikeshop - £160 inc delivery :wink:

I have a pair of Shimano Saints on my Cube which I'm going to swap over once my pedal wrench arrives so that'll sort that problem!

The Xkings weren't too bad today!

Cheers for the heads up. Good price. I was gonna say don't the Saints have an allen drive on the axle end, but the OE Boardman pedals don't. D'oh. I managed to get mine off with a normal spanner, but only just (not helped by the ridiculous extent Halfords had over tightened them to - enough for the axle to actually cut into the crank faces).
  • Matt-r8
    Matt-r8 Posts: 298
    Matt-r8 wrote:

Sealskinz Waterproof socks.
  • Kowalski675
    Matt-r8 wrote:
    Matt-r8 wrote:

Sealskinz Waterproof socks.

Problem with Sealskinz is that they feel about as unpleasant as wet feet anyway, lol.
  • I must have the bug hard!

I've seen an awesome Whyte for sale on Pinkbike so this is up for sale on eBay now! Never thought I'd sell a bike after 2 rides lol :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    kammybear wrote:
    I must have the bug hard!

I've seen an awesome Whyte for sale on Pinkbike so this is up for sale on eBay now! Never thought I'd sell a bike after 2 rides lol :lol:

Haha, when the bug bites it bites hard!

Hopefully you'll make most of your money back on the Boardman as it's a very nice bike and as you found out, a great entry into the world of bouncy bikes :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • GTmark
    GTmark Posts: 21
    pretty shocked at the lack of lock out on the rear and downspeccing of this bike,
    had to sell my camber and my company in some idiots wisdom has decided to cycle scheme only with halfords this year leaving this as the only replacement for my camber,

considering ill need new brakes, rear shock. forks wondering if its even worth doing , oh and stil 9mm qr on the rear , how does it feel size wise it looks high on the med frame

also the drop link pivot point looks worryingly thin to me
  • Kowalski675
    The previous 26" Team FS had no rear propedal either, but that's down to the shock spec, nothing to do with the bike design. I don't think you can really expect a higher spec shock on a bike that price.

Size-wise I think the medium feels on the small side, I could've easily gone up to a large.
  • I've been happy with the bike as a whole.

If you are going to change all that, you might be better buying a Canyon for twice the price and save yourself the hassle?

Never bother with lockout so it's not missed :P
  • GTmark
    thanks for the comments ,

trouble is im stuck with a halfords replacement to my spesh,

being on the small size is good for me i like a smaller bike
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    @GTmark

I think you need a little perspective here! You want all that on an FS bike less than £1k?!

Can you name 1 FS bike in that price range that has a rear shock with lock out, straight thru on the rear and high spec brakes?
  • GTmark
    i think pre halfords only the options were better thats all. being able to get a 2013 bike in a sale with afew quid cash gets a better bike,

trying to decide if its worth geting the team fs just to get a bike or not,
  • Kowalski675
    Some retailers exclude sale bikes from the cycle to work schemes.
  • GTmark
    im guessing your not that impressed with it then

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2014- ... to-content

is this yours ??
  • Renry
    Renry Posts: 15
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Nice bell.

The bell is a very handy bit of kit if you ride trails
    Where you encounter other riders, walkers ( with or
    Without dogs). Etc. Don't knock them.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Renry wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Nice bell.

The bell is a very handy bit of kit if you ride trails
    Where you encounter other riders, walkers ( with or
    Without dogs). Etc. Don't knock them.

really a bell??? whats wrong with just asking the walkers to move over?
  • buffoon
    buffoon Posts: 49
    Considering purchase of a Team or Pro FS myself, within the next year. Currently have a 29er halfords hardtail (aizan). Although it's brilliant fun for the very cheap price, I recently demo-ed a full-susser and felt like I was going twice as fast. Shouldn't have gone near that shiny bicycle because it has made me want to spend lots of money now. Anyway, while I certainly cant afford that particular bike (Spec Enduro carbon 29er - £4.6k !!) ), I could purchase a boardman.

SO my question is: Is there a big difference between the PRO & TEAM? Is it worth the extra £600?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    What are the spec differences? Do a bit of legwork first
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • buffoon
    Basically the PRO has slightly upgraded components, with the same frame - details below (e.g. Revelation versus Sektor fork). However, I purposely didnt bother with the spec, not because of laziness but A) I dont know what the hell any of this stuff means! and B) I think personal experiences with the bikes are more meaningful than a dry spec list. I was hoping some readers may have tried both bikes....

TEAM SPEC:
    • Approximate Weight (KG): 14kg
    • Forks: RockShox Sektor Silver with Lockout - Tapered Steerer - 15mm Maxle
    • Frame Material: Alloy
    • Front Brake: Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brake - 170mm Rotor
    • Geometry: Boardman MTB Full Suspension
    • Number of Gears: 20
    • Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc Brake - 160mm Rotor
    • Wheel Size: 650b
    • Cassette: SRAM PG1030 - 11-36t
    • Chainset: FSA Comet 368 42/27t
    • Fork Lock-out: Yes
    • Fork travel: 130mm
    • Frame Colour: Black & Blue
    • Front Mech: SRAM X5 2 Speed
    • Gear Shifters: SRAM X7 - 2x10 Triggers
    • Handle Bars: Boardman E4P - 680mm(S) 700mm(M,L) - 31.8 with 15mm Rise
    • Headset: FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial 1.1/8" to 1.1/2" Tapered - Integrated
    • Pedals: Wellgo Platform - 9/16"
    • Rear Mech: SRAM X7 - 10 Speed - Type 2 - Long Cage
    • Rims: Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole
    • Saddle: Boardman E4P - Chromoly Rails
    • Seatpost: Boardman E4P - 31.6mm
    • Stem: Boardman E4P - 70mm - 31.8 with +/-7 degree rise
    • Suspension: Full
    • Tyres: Continental X-King 27.5" x 2.2"
    PRO SPEC
    • Approximate Weight (KG): 13.3kg
    • Forks: RockShox Revelation RL with Lockout - Tapered Steerer - 15mm Maxle
    • Frame Material: Alloy
    • Front Brake: Avid Elixir 7 Trail Hydraulic Disc Brake - 170mm Rotor
    • Geometry: Boardman MTB Full Suspension with 142mm Thru Axle
    • Number of Gears: 20
    • Rear Brake: Avid Elixir 7 Trail Hydraulic Disc Brake - 160mm Rotor
    • Wheel Size: 650b
    • Cassette: SRAM PG1050 - 12-36t
    • Chainset: SRAM S1000 42/28t
    • Fork Lock-out: Yes
    • Fork travel: 130mm
    • Frame Colour: Grey & Green
    • Front Mech: SRAM X9 - 2 Speed
    • Gear Shifters: SRAM X9 - 2x10 Triggers
    • Handle Bars: Boardman E4P SL - 680mm(S) 700mm(M,L) - 31.8 with 15mm Rise
    • Headset: FSA Orbit C-40 ACB/Industrial 1.1/8" to 1.1/2" Tapered - Integrated
    • Pedals: Wellgo Platform - 9/16"
    • Rear Mech: SRAM X9 - 10 Speed - Type 2 - Long Cage
    • Rims: Mavic XM319 - 32 Hole
    • Saddle: Fizik Nisene MG - Manganese Rails
    • Seatpost: Boardman E4P SL - Uni-directional Carbon Fibre - 31.6mm - 350mm(S) 400mm (M,L) with offset
    • Stem: Boardman E4P SL - 70mm - 31.8 with +/-7 degree rise
    • Suspension: Full
    • Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nick Folding 27.5" x 2.25"
  • Kowalski675
    buffoon wrote:
    SO my question is: Is there a big difference between the PRO & TEAM? Is it worth the extra £600?

Much better component spec (particularly suspension and brakes) and yes, in that order.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    For £1600 I'd go for this instead

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5187/CA ... YLL-3-2013
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:

That wasn't the question though ;) The Jeky'll's a great discount, but they're a bloody heavy thing (and complicated), wouldn't want one for all round trail riding. The Boardman doesn't need to cost £1600 anyway - if you're clever you can get it for around £1130. If you're looking at the full £1600 rrp there are a lot of other options though.
  • buffoon
    Interesting - that Jekyll thing looks like a mean beast, with big travel suspension and a bargain price. It sort of looks like a "downhill" bike though? Maybe that's what kowalski means by not good for allround trail riding? Also, it has 26inch wheels, and I have become fixated with getting a 650b bike - 29 too big, 26 too small.

Pray tell - how do I get my Boardman for £1130 not £1600? I think it's not eligible for C2W scheme?
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I'm not sure how you could get it for £1100 either. At best a 10% british cycling discount and a further 10% off during halfords many discount weekends?

The Jekyll is an AM bike and would be perfect for trail centres and stuff.

It's not really any more complicated than the Boardman. A Shock is a shock really and the DYAD isn't so uncommon anymore.

It's all the bike anyone would need in the UK unless you're a pro in which a better front fork would be on the list!
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    I'm not sure how you could get it for £1100 either. At best a 10% british cycling discount and a further 10% off during halfords many discount weekends?

The 10% British Cycling voucher, then do the buying gift vouchers at 10% off thing, wait for a 10% discount weekend, reserve and collect online through Quidco for 3% cashback - comes out at about £1130, give or take a few pence. And for that price, it's a bargain. At £1600 there's a lot of other options at the moment - I'd be tempted by a Trek Fuel EX8 from Evans, for example.

The Jekyll's definitely focused on descending, not on being an all round trail bike. Having picked one up in my LBS, I wouldn't want to be doing much climbing on it (not with my legs, anyway) - it's no lightweight.
  • buffoon
    Excellent! - wasnt aware of the British Cycling discount. Waiting for the discount weekend is also a good idea, since I'm not in a hurry. Don't understand the gift voucher thing though? Had a look at Halfords vouchers online, and it looks like a 1-to-1 exchange system. Still, 20% off would be good enough to convince me.