Complexity of changing chainrings etc...

captainfirecat
captainfirecat Posts: 44
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

To avoid confusion I won't try and use the technical terms... but feel free to tell me what they are!

I have a mountain bike, it is very old and so parts are in quite bad shape. Still rideable (frame is still fine, brakes still work, tyres are good), but gear changes are not pleasant. So to bring it back to life I'm hoping to change the 'cog at the back' and the chain, as the chain is more rust than metal, and the cog teeth are all rounded and worn.

How complex a job is that? I can change a chain no problem, but is the rear gear cog just a case of wheel off, unscrew cog, screw new cog on, wheel back on (changing chain as I go), or is it more complex than that? In my mind it is just a part that attachs to the wheel, but is there more to it than that?

Is there another part that needs to go with the cog (it's a chainring right?), like a spacer or something?

Thanks all (and sorry for the newbie question :) )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it all depends on what you have.

cassette or freewheel

have a read of park tools to help ID what you have and what you might have to do. and what tools you might need to buy.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    FYI

The cogs at the back are called sprockets and as Nick say come in two broad types (Freewheels and Cassettes)

In order for you to be able to 'freewheel' there's a ratchet system under the sprockets which allows them to rotate backwards - so that the wheel can turn without the pedals turning (freewheeling)

On a 'Cassette' type this is attached to the wheel hub and the sprockets are stacked over and retained by a locknut.

On a 'Freewheel' the mechanism is integral to the freewheel and the whole unit unscrews from the hub. In practice they can be hard to remove as constant pedalling screws them down very tight.

Either way 'special' tools (though not expensive) are required to remove. They aren't tools you're going to use very often, so I would suggest a quick trip to a local bike shop. IMO independent shops are generally better than the chain stores (though exceptions do apply). Probably someone here could recommend one if you provide your location.

Chainrings are the rings attached to the cranks where you pedal. You may well need to change these too as worn parts do not mesh well with new ones (the chain in this case)