Advice Cyclocrossframe

WillemDave
WillemDave Posts: 6
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi all,

I'm going to buy a cyclocross bike to keep me fit in the winter and 'badweather' days.
But I'm having troubles finding the right size.
What is the most important thing to look at?
Reach, stack, top tube, head tube?

My roadbike is a Cube Agree 2013 size 56.
It's got a horizontal toptube length of 545mm. Stem length 100mm.
Standover aprox 760mm.
The Cube lets me do bike rides up to 150km without any bad feeling or fatigue. Only, on hot days, my fingers go to sleep. Changing positions on the handlebar was a fix for the numbness.

My personal details:
Height: 172.00 cm
Sternum Notch: 144.00 cm
Inseam Length: 82.00 cm
Arm Length: 61.00 cm
Shoulder Width: 43.00 cm

I took a look at the Canyon site and there I was advised to go for a 53.
Looking at the Kona site, The Jake the snake, it's sits between a 49 and a 53.
Ridley's X-Fire would sell me a 52.

Only looking at the toptube length, but what about the standover.
My inseam is only 82cm. For the Ridley bike it is a bit more: 85cm.

How do make sure I will make the right decision.
By the Way, the kona is my favorite. But If size is not ideal, I'll have to scrap him out of my list.

thanks

Comments

• You'd be prudent to go and try one out somewhere methinks?

If this is impossible then always veer towards smaller for CX bikes- it's nice to have the space over the toptube and as you spend much of the time on the hoods you don't want the reach to bo toooo loooooong.
  • Problem is that most bikes are not in the stores, only in books and only for order.
    I used to ride MTB and still ride a roadbike. But I don't know how it is to sit on a Cyclocross bike.
    Therefore I asked many shops in a 60km radius around my place, if they have cx bikes in store, for rent, occasions...
    Some have a few but mostly way to large for me.
    58, 60, 62. Maybe I'm just to small :-)
  • My cross bike is a 56- I'm 6 foot 2. My last frame was a 58. But both of these fit- just the smaller one has a longer stem, a slightly higher stack height and a higher saddle. But that's okay- Go smaller I'd say, or go to a race with your MTB and race it for fun-while you're there have a look about at other bikes- maybe someone will even let you sit on their bike?
  • 58,60,62 are sizes for very tall people, no surprises you won't fit.
  • 58,60,62 are sizes for very tall people, no surprises you won't fit.

Yeah, I Know, but why only order large frames to put on stock?
    I guess 1m75 (5'9") is an average length here.

And when I ask for a fit on a smaller frame, than I would have to order it and pay a amount up in front.
    What I'm not going to do.
  • What's the difference between a cyclocross bike, a mountain bike and a hybrid?
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I'm 5' 10" (177cm) tall and I ride a 51cm Caadx. This is probably as small as I could go. The 54cm felt too big for me. Cylocross bikes do tend to have shorter top tubes and taller head tubes than road bikes so its difficult to compare road and cyclocross frames. The best way is to sit on and try some bikes for fit as everyone if different.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR