what sort of offence is it to throw a bottle at someone...

gingaman
gingaman Posts: 576
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
...when driving?

i witnessed some pretty abysmal behaviour from a signwritten van last evening. the driver tried to throw a bottle at another road user he had just cut up after blocking traffic and shouting abuse. i am writing an email to his company but am unsure if and what sort of offence throwing a bottle is. can anyone help?

thanks

Comments

• If it hits someone - assault. If it damages something - criminal damage. If neither, possibly a public order type offence.

If the driver is concentrating more on aiming a bottle than on his driving, maybe careless/inconsiderate driving.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • gingaman
    Thanks BelgianBeerGeek.

[email]I am writing to complain about one of your drivers, and his abusive behaviour towards other road users. I was adjacent to your driver and then one car behind him when he changed lanes and witnessed the following interchange.

Yesterday evening at around 1600 hrs. coming through Woking on the A320, one lane is for straight on under the train bridge and one is for turning right. Your driver (in the signwritten van with reg plate AE12LAL) had positioned himself in the right hand lane. Traffic is always busy here and switching between lanes can be tricky, but with a little patience it can be achieved well in advance of the lanes splitting.

Why then did your driver, after having already successfully changed lanes, feel the need to stop his van (blocking all traffic under the bridge), and open the driver’s door to lean out and hurl abuse at the lady whom he had just cut up? As bad as this is, he then tried to throw a drinks bottle at the following drivers car but failed and it landed on his own roof.

I hope this isn’t the sort of aggressive attitude your company advocates, and that at the very least you could have a stern word with your driver.

Regards &c.....[/email]

Bit of a fool really, that driver.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Re your letter....

I'd leave out the 'why' of what wound him up, and concentrate on the behaviour. Simple "I witnessed driver of van reg no XXXXX acting agressively to other road users by XXXXX" is more powerful.
    Insert bike here:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    If it hits someone - assault. If it damages something - criminal damage. If neither, possibly a public order type offence.

If the driver is concentrating more on aiming a bottle than on his driving, maybe careless/inconsiderate driving.

It doesn't have to hit someone to be an assault!

If it hits, it is a battery

"An assault is actually committed when D intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend immediate and unlawful violence"

Pedantry over

There are also offences of dangerous or careless driving that may be made out
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    If it hits someone - assault. If it damages something - criminal damage. If neither, possibly a public order type offence.

It doesn't have to hit someone to be an assault!

If it hits, it is a battery

"An assault is actually committed when D intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend immediate and unlawful violence"

Pedantry over

There are also offences of dangerous or careless driving that may be made out

Fair enough. I was trying to keep it simple, so didn't want to go into attempted criminal damage/battery etc or the legal definitions of assault. Too early in the morning for pedantry.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • spen666

Fair enough. I was trying to keep it simple, so didn't want to go into attempted criminal damage/battery etc or the legal definitions of assault. Too early in the morning for pedantry.

Not enough assault charges are brought in the circumstances where its the apprehension rather than the battery that occurs

Twittering @spen_666
  • Causing a danger to another road user. Sec 22 Road Traffic Act.
    Assault with or without battery
    Littering
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • spen666
    CanalRider wrote:
    Causing a danger to another road user. Sec 22 Road Traffic Act.
    Littering

not sure that S22 is made out on the facts given
    22 Leaving vehicles in dangerous positions.
    If a person in charge of a vehicle causes or permits the vehicle or a trailer drawn by it to remain at rest on a road in such a position or in such condition or in such circumstances as to involve a danger of injuryto other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

I think you would struggle to persuade a court any offence of that nature is made out on these facts.

Twittering @spen_666
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    spen666 wrote:
    Pedantry over
    If only ;-)

EDIT: come to think of it, in this day and age "failure to recycle a bottle" is probably the most serious charge that could be laid?
  • Is there not a more generalised law to sanction against being a tw@t?
  • spen666 wrote:
    CanalRider wrote:
    Causing a danger to another road user. Sec 22 Road Traffic Act.
    Littering

not sure that S22 is made out on the facts given
    22 Leaving vehicles in dangerous positions.
    If a person in charge of a vehicle causes or permits the vehicle or a trailer drawn by it to remain at rest on a road in such a position or in such condition or in such circumstances as to involve a danger of injuryto other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

I think you would struggle to persuade a court any offence of that nature is made out on these facts.

My bad. Sec 22a(1)(b) Causing danger to another road user. Might need a legal argument though
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Littering......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    tootsie323 wrote:
    Is there not a more generalised law to sanction against being a tw@t?

Would require politicians legislating against themselves? Never going to happen
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • gingaman
    tootsie323 wrote:

Would require politicians legislating against themselves? Never going to happen

LOL
  • tootsie323 wrote:

Only two offences are required: being out of order, and being bang out of order. It would simplify the criminal law no end, and I doubt that juries would find it any harder to apply than all the offences that they currently have to deal with.

Did you know that here in the UK have something like 150 different sexual offences? The French make do with around 6. But then, their Sexual Offences Act probably wasn't *deliberately* drafted in a way which makes having sex with crustaceans an offence. I don't know if anyone, anywhere has ever sexually abused a lobster, but we can all sleep more soundly at night knowing that our Parliament debated the matter and decided that yes, they would word the bestiality offences in a way to make it illegal. You could not make it up.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    bompington wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    Pedantry over
    If only ;-)

EDIT: come to think of it, in this day and age "failure to recycle a bottle" is probably the most serious charge that could be laid?
    Oh...

It would be ironic to get him for littering, which can come with a hefty fine.