Looking for a waterproof bluetooth speaker

Confused Chimp
Confused Chimp Posts: 8
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
I'm planning on commuting to work some of the time and my route is through country lanes. I like listening to music whilst riding, but don't like the idea of using headphones whilst on the road.
Therefore I was looking to see if I could find a small bluetooth speaker that is waterproof and could be attached to either the handlebar or top post.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
CC

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    hum ....
    or whistle ...

if you really have to then sing ...

bluetooth speaker ... please dont!
    next you'll be telling us that it helps you keep pace going up hills! ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    stick an earphone in your left ear, don't overdo the volume, done.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iPete wrote:
    stick an earphone in your left ear, don't overdo the volume, done.

One ear, both ears, doesn't matter. It's the volume that counts. Easy to set it so that any traffic noise drowns it. Lots of people get hysterical about this - presumably they don't understand the purpose of the volume control.......

But as per Slowbike coomment - please don't contaminate the planet with your terrible taste in music by blaring it out of a speaker. Horrible, horrible, horrible. And everyone will hate you*........

*and rightly so!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    A guy overtook me with music playing at the Etape Penines. I span up to him and asked if he had "Eye of the tiger" as I needed some help at that point.

I'm not sure if he got what I meant.
    Insert bike here:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    As if there is not enough noise polution ... keep it to yourself by using earphones.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mpatts wrote:
    A guy overtook me with music playing at the Etape Penines. I span up to him and asked if he had "Eye of the tiger" as I needed some help at that point.

I'm not sure if he got what I meant.

We saw a guy with a mushroom on his handlebars on the french sportive - I just managed to stop my brother from ripping it off and throwing it over the side of the ferry ... ;) Needless to say we hit the front of the group and got well away from any noise!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    As a hi-fi geek, essentially unless I am sat infront of my Naim, I don't listen to any music.

This sounds ridiculously snobby, but I have discovered that running and riding is MUCH more pleasurable when you are not listening to music.

Simple joys like "Oo, I can hear a bird/squirrel/trees/campag freehub" are worth their weight in gold.
    Insert bike here:
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    it's nowhere near waterproof and is gobsmackingly heavy, but my Bose Soundlink Mini is AMAZING. The sound that comes out of it will easily fill a room and is so clear.

I think the Beats portable speaker has a splashproof bag that comes with it, but the sound quality doesn't touch the Bose.
  • mpatts wrote:
    A guy overtook me with music playing at the Etape Penines. I span up to him and asked if he had "Eye of the tiger" as I needed some help at that point...
    Isn't that what Jan Ullrich asked Lance Armstrong back in 2001? Think Lance misinterpreted it too...
  • Have you thought about bone conduction headphones, link to a Bluetooth set. Added bonus that you dont cut yourself completely from the outside world like with ear buds.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftershokz-Head ... headphones
  • Well all i see here are comments about you polluting the nature with your music...well it is not pleasant to hear other people's music on the street on every corner, but if you ride a bike for a long distance, music can be the best company. I use bluetooth speakers for my rides because they are safer than headphones.
    I have the Jabra Solemate, and it is perfect for me, also waterproof as you said you wanted. There are other smaller products on the market but they don't provide such sound quality.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabra-SOLEMATE-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00934E0KU
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Just strap one of these to your pannier rack (the ghetto blaster btw, not the dude with the glasses)

3cft.jpg

:wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn