Smoothing out the speed

ianspeare
ianspeare Posts: 110
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Has anyone got any advice on how to smooth out average speeds on a line.

Basically what is happening is when I go far a ride, my average speed will be up for say 10 minutes, then I'll get tired and have to slow down for a few minutes, creating peaks and troughs on the speed line. I know this is the point of interval training, but I'm looking to build endurance rather than sprint power.

Does anyone have any tips to to eradicate these peaks and troughs?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Does this not depend on the terrain and wind? Surely that has a big influence on how you can ride? If you are just working flat out for ten minutes, taking it easy for ten minutes, repeat until home, then just stop working flat out so you don't get so tired.

Am I missing something?
  • What is it you are trying to achieve by going so apart from a tidy graph?

If your not warming up properly and setting off too fast you will find it hard to strike a sustainable tempo but in the real world with traffic lights and traffic you are not going to be able to sustain the same pace from start to finish.

You would be better looking at HR to measure your efforts if you are trying to measure your effort output or alternatively just go ride your bike and enjoy it
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Work at your cadence and get a sustainable pace that you can maintain for long periods I would have thought
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The only way to achieve a perfectly flat graph for your average speed is to stay in a single gear pedalling at a perfectly constant cadence on an absolutetley pan flat road. You will achieve nothing doing this - even it it were possible, which it is not.

Your fatigue and rest cycle you describe however is more to do with going too quickly (in your 10 minutes) for a sustained ride. Slow down your pace and you will be able to cycle for longer between feeling the need to slow significantly. This will allow you to smooth out the peaks and troughs you describe.

Think sprinter v marathon runner!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Move to Norfolk.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I think you're pushing it too hard on the higher speeds bit - probably to try and get your average speed up ... over do it and then have to recover with the inevitable slow down ...

Plan for you - remove your computer from sight - put it in your back pocket or turn it off completely - go for a ride, feel your body and ride at a pace where you can just about have a conversation out loud (with yourself!), you should find that is a sustainable pace and your speed will fluctuate more with the gradient and wind.

If you want peaks & troughs - my average speed to work yesterday was 16.5mph - min 7.7mph and max 38mph. Not that I checked on the ride, I just rode ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I try to ride conservatively. I don't constantly look at the speed on the computer, but all the time I'm trying to ride at a pace I know I'll be able to sustain for the length of the ride. So if it's a 20 mile loop in the evening I push myself quite hard, but if I'm doing 50 or 60 miles at the weekend or on a sportive I'll go a bit easier so I don't blow up halfway round. If I'm still feeling fresh in the final 10 miles I might then go all out to the finish, or I might just bimble home enjoying the scenery. It's all down to experience; you're the only one who knows how hard you can push for how long.
  • slowbike
    keef66 wrote:
    but if I'm doing 50 or 60 miles at the weekend or on a sportive I'll go a bit easier so I don't blow up halfway round.
    That's an interesting one ...

I did the Wiggle NF standard the other weekend - first 1/2 I did at a slower pace with my wife - she was riding on 1 1/2 legs as she's got a painful ankle, but wasn't sure if she was going to be able to carry on to the full 70 ... it wasn't to be - however, I'm pleased with her 40 mile time ... my heart rate for the 40 was low 100's ... it's normally 130+ for cruising and 160+ when I'm putting some effort in ..
    So as she peeled off I upped my pace to "normal" then found myself catching those who had just passed me ... so took them - on to the next group .. no they were too slow - passed them on to the next group .... etc etc ..
    ended up doing the last 30 miles faster than I thought I would - even the last drag up the main road to the finish was at my "fast cruising speed" ...
    perhaps it was the jelly beans I ate - or the 40 mile warm up! ;)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    but if I'm doing 50 or 60 miles at the weekend or on a sportive I'll go a bit easier so I don't blow up halfway round.
    That's an interesting one ...

I did the Wiggle NF standard the other weekend - first 1/2 I did at a slower pace with my wife - she was riding on 1 1/2 legs as she's got a painful ankle, but wasn't sure if she was going to be able to carry on to the full 70 ... it wasn't to be - however, I'm pleased with her 40 mile time ... my heart rate for the 40 was low 100's ... it's normally 130+ for cruising and 160+ when I'm putting some effort in ..
    So as she peeled off I upped my pace to "normal" then found myself catching those who had just passed me ... so took them - on to the next group .. no they were too slow - passed them on to the next group .... etc etc ..
    ended up doing the last 30 miles faster than I thought I would - even the last drag up the main road to the finish was at my "fast cruising speed" ...
    perhaps it was the jelly beans I ate - or the 40 mile warm up! ;)

I think that it's pretty common. Occasionally I go out with a couple of mates who relatively new to cycling, their pace is a lot slower than mine and when I peel off at the end of their ride I'm off like a shot at a monster pace, I'm guessing that it's like a long warm up.
  • slowbike
    Bozman wrote:
    I think that it's pretty common.
    bu66er ... so I'm not super human then :(
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I've done that for years when running and cycling. Start out comfortable and reel in all the ones who set out too fast. Greatly satisfying. The opposite of starting to quick and struggling to finish is a pain...
  • ianspeare
    ianspeare Posts: 110
    We'll I think riding with a heart rate monitor. I have a Garmin Edge 800 and bought the bundle because I knew the other parts would come in useful at some point. Might also install the cadence sensor too now I think about it.

I guess working out max hr & lactate threshold is all a part of using them too