Bloody bike!

Bigbreak147
Bigbreak147 Posts: 17
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys,

A little bit of advice please.

I brought a bike from halfords, a carera volcan, about 5 months ago It cost me £370 so I thought it would be good quality. How wrong was I!

I took out a service plan with them and thankful I did. I have taken it back about 6 times now and it's driving me mad. The latest think it the chain has twisted yet again. 2nd time it has happened now and on a previous occasion the chain snapped! They replaced the chain the first time, then they replaced the chain and the rear gear set and now it's happened again.

I have no confidance in the bike anymore and not too sure what I can do. I have spoken to them before as I am on the heavy side (17.7 stone) but they said it has nothing to do with it.

What advice can you guys give me - do I stand a chance it getting my money back or a new bike?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Learn to look after it yourself - read Parktools below.

The parts are common to millions of bikes, so is user error possible?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's a chain shite happens. Do you know how to change gears correctly?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The problem is not the bike - more likely the bike shop not fitting stuff properly, you are doing something wrong or just plain bad luck that would happen with any bike.

What do you mean by chain 'twisted'? Were you running on the biggest cog at front AND rear simultaneously? That would put too much strain on the chain as it isnt usually long enough to do that and it is being pulled diagonally too much - you should never have it on both the smallest cogs or the largest as the angle is too much, but the two big ones is worst for stretching it, the two small ones will result in a too slack chain possibly and alot of chain slap.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Also, as Chunkers is maybe suggesting, you should try not to change gear under load - when going uphill pushing really hard in too high a gear, if you change down without backing off the pressure on the pedals you will probably find either it doesnt want to change, it makes a horrid clunking noise or it jumps off - or all 3! Changing gear should be with light pressure on the pedals if possible.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    It will just be badly set up. If you are not comfortable tinkering with it yourself then take it to a friendly local bike shop and get them to do a quick service on it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    apreading wrote:
    Also, as Chunkers is maybe suggesting, you should try not to change gear under load - when going uphill pushing really hard in too high a gear, if you change down without backing off the pressure on the pedals you will probably find either it doesnt want to change, it makes a horrid clunking noise or it jumps off - or all 3! Changing gear should be with light pressure on the pedals if possible.

This. I saw a big guy bend a front mech trying to change rings under heavy load. Gear changing technique can make a big difference.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    apreading wrote:
    you should never have it on both the smallest cogs or the largest as the angle is too much, but the two big ones is worst for stretching it,

Absolute load of codswollop.

The chain should be lengthened to cater for a big big, additionally the mech will stretch to allow it so as not to stretch the chain itself.

Secondly the comment of "never ever go big big or small small" is scaremongering. The chain will not instantly self destruct in this instance, yes it'll angle a little more than it usually would but I've never had a chain die on me because I've been biking along in big big or small small.

Bear in mind as well, by having a 2x setup being in big big or small small is of no issue, it's relating to 3x setups and even then as I said it's not an issue in reality.

However the argument of whether its worth being in big big or small small in a 3x setup is a different matter as it's usually catered for in a better gear elsewhere i.e. middle and somewhere.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    get some pics up as to what has actually happened....it's hard to visualise exactly what you mean by "chain has twisted"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depends what you mean by twisted chain.

If you change gear under a lot of pedaling force and with your added weight this will eventually cause problems. I am not light at 15st10 but when changing gear a bit like a car clutch I ease off on the pedaling power slightly until the new gear has engaged and the pedal normally again. This does not mean I stop pedalling during the change just briefly drop the power a bit.

Also try to avoid big / big or small/small gear combinations as at best the front gear changer will rub and at worse you may be forcing the bike into gears under stress.

Other than that it sounds like a fault with the bike as you are well within mountain bike max weight limits.
  • Hi guys,

Many thanks for your quick replies, unfortunately, I can't get any pic up as I have taken the bike back to Halfords.

I will take note on what you guys are saying and I will see if that helps. Strange though as this is the 2nd time this happened. Driving me crazy I must say!

Let see what Halfords come back with!

Cheers

Nick
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's nothing to do with the bike or halfords. It can happen on any bike if you don't use your gears correctly or maintain the transmission properly.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    It's nothing to do with the bike or halfords. It can happen on any bike if you don't use your gears correctly or maintain the transmission properly.

Er, It's perfectly possible that it is something to do with the bike or halfords. It is just as possible as the issue being down to bad shifting technique.
  • It cost me £370 so I thought it would be good quality. How wrong was I!

With respect you seem to suggest that £370 is a lot of money for a bike - it really isn't. That's bargain basement type money. It still shouldn't go wrong of course, but don't be fooled into thinking you're getting top quality for that price.
  • cooldad
    Condescend much?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    That's your job isn't it?
  • cooldad wrote:
    Condescend much?

Not at all. I can't afford that much, just that the OP seems to think that he's bought some top of the range bike.
  • cooldad
    Top of the range bikes don't last longer, often the kit is more expensive, lighter, and more fragile.
    That's your job isn't it?
    True, but only with idiots - I thought you at least had enough brain cells to work that out by now. Obviously I was wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    I'm around the 16-17st bracket and i purchased a Carrera Vulcan from Halfords last October apart from the tyres being flat when i picked it up i've not had any issues with it. It takes my weight fine, rides well and was set up right. Not had any issues with the chain. It's a great budget bike. The forks aren't overly great but for what I paid i'm not complaining :)
    I built the last bike i had myself. I got a haynes mtb maintenance manual, tools and work stand and learnt how things worked and how to set up the bike. I did take it to a LBS to have the gears indexed but it's a great way to learn more about your bike and how to do routine work and fix issues yourself.
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • pesky_jones
    edited October 2013
    cooldad wrote:
    True, but only with idiots

Oh, in order to make yourself feel smarter, I get it :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Briggo wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    you should never have it on both the smallest cogs or the largest as the angle is too much, but the two big ones is worst for stretching it,

Absolute load of codswollop.

The chain should be lengthened to cater for a big big, additionally the mech will stretch to allow it so as not to stretch the chain itself.
    Never heard of chain angle, the chain may be the right length, doesn't mean you should do it though, unless you are a moron.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    The chain does complain a bit if run at an angle. You can usually hear the links struggling to engage with the cassette.

We ride out once a week in a group of 6-10 people and there a particular hill that has often been the woe of many a chain from simply falling off to twisting, snapping and bending the rear mech. Its usually caused by unsympathetic gear shifting, riders desperately trying to go down the gears whilst putting the whole drivetrain under duress with the climb (the hill is right after a long downhill). Gear changes need to be smooth and appropriate. Derailleurs are delicate creatures!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/