the value of weight loss

13»

Comments

• maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Sir Velo wrote:
    Maryka, being short, stocky and full of muscle is ideal for a prop forward in rugby. I think England could do with a few more; in fact most countries are on the look out for such types.

SV
    I sort of preferred to bash people around on ice skates with a stick and puck. :D Short track speed skating came into popularity a bit late for me, though that might have worked too.

But yeah had I grown up here, maybe rugby instead. But at 157cm I'm still not quite tall enough to be big enough, and the guy upthread at 5'7" is probably the same, even for rugby? We're in no-man's land.

To put in perspective for cycling, even though I won the National HC this year I still outweighed the 2nd place girl by probably 5kg at the same height. She's very good but I just have more power for weight. If Emma Pooley ever entered though, with my watts + some, and 5kg lighter, she would trounce both of us at any distance. If I ever got down to 46-48kg I would be ill! (currently 54kg, summer racing weight 52kg).
  • Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I couldn't possibly get below 67kg, a good dose of Typhoid or any serious illness could sort that out! But at 67kg you could play my ribs like a xylophone, count the vertebrae on my back with a well defined six pack. My face was hollowed out though and I was getting asked by my boss was I seriously ill and did I need time off!? So were I to take up crystal meth and simply quit food and get sub 60kg I can't see myself being anyway healthy never mind quicker on a bike. I don't think I carry 10kg of fat when I weigh 67kg.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    celbianchi wrote:
    Meh I would be happy to get down to a healthy weight nevermind a 'racing' type weight.

What's stopping you? Use something like MyFitnessPal to log the calorific intake versus expenditure and set a realistic goal to lose weight over a number of weeks. It will give you a net calorie target and if you are honest with your logging of intake and expenditure you can't fail but to losde weight.
    It is very simple. All these bloaters who say "But I can't lose weight" or "I barely eat anything as it is and I still weigh xxx".
    I have no sympathy for people who can't use a bit of nous and will power (not you markhewitt1978) - but dieting failures generally. People can't or won't eductate themselves.

Yeah myfitnesspal is what got me down to 67 last year. It enabled me to have a good cheat day once a week as well as I was so far under the weekly calorie goal due to all the riding.
  • ok, i survived the first 2 road races of the year for me. the results were finishing 2, 45 miles events in the dwindling bunch. i couldnt have worked any harder in either race with rolling roads, all big ring (52 tooth) hills, with av speeds of +24mph and max speeds of +40 mph for short periods. there were lots of 30 mph efforts in windy conditions. i'd say i was working at 80% or more for long periods.

this was the reality of my racing. if you lost the wheel you got dropped, if you couldnt go deep on the hilly bits, you got dropped. at no point did i feel any benefit of -8lbs weight loss. was there any benefit? maybe, but the need to be able to ride faster, dig deep and suffer was greater than the need to be light. i cant see too many courses for me where being light would be a REAL advantage. the fast riders were bigger guys with muscular legs, not skinny lean types. in order to survive, my legs had to be able to push a biggish gear most of the time.

so is there value in weight loss? yes, but i'm not going to focus or fixate on it.