Inner tubes - what difference do they make?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2013 in Road general
I'm aware that inner tubes can have an impact on rolling resistance but when you are running tyres like Conti GP 4 Seasons does it really matter?

I'm also aware that cheaper tubes leak air slowly but do they have any other downsides??

Comments

• Well for one thing don't go for fancy expensive superlights etc...

I got some light Vitoria inner tubes and within 3 weeks the tube ripped at the valve join. A couple weeks after that the second tube ripped in the same place.
    They also required pumping up every day.

Get some thick butal tubes and low resistance tyres and ride away.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Light, especially latex tubes are a nicer ride.

Unless you're a hamfisted kn0bber they are easy to maintain without damaging. The only thing with latex is once you take them off you can't get them back on again due to stretch. I check the air pressure in my tyres every day anyway so air loss with latex is a non-issue. I'm on the same latex inners as I started the year with on my good wheels.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I now use Conti Supersonic R28 tubes which are 50g each compared to 110g each of my previous Conti tubes. Cant think of any other way to save over a hundred grams of rotational weight for £15!

I haven't noticed any difference in ride quality i.e no added road vibration etc etc...

I do need to pump them up once a week to maintain the same pressure but to be honest, I do that before most rides anyway.

Great lightweight tubes but you must be careful when installing as to not pinch between tyre and wheel as they are very thin. Haven't had any p*******s either so I'd recommend them.
    Mick
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    So in conclusion they roll a bit better, weigh less but aren't as puncture proof as a butyl tube?

If that's right then I'm probably better off with butyl tubes for audax type events as opposed to racing?
  • The Supersonic is a butyl tube so best of both worlds.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I now use Conti Supersonic R28 tubes which are 50g each compared to 110g each of my previous Conti tubes. Cant think of any other way to save over a hundred grams of rotational weight for £15!
    Have you tried drilling your rims?
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    I now use Conti Supersonic R28 tubes which are 50g each compared to 110g each of my previous Conti tubes. Cant think of any other way to save over a hundred grams of rotational weight for £15!

I haven't noticed any difference in ride quality i.e no added road vibration etc etc...

I do need to pump them up once a week to maintain the same pressure but to be honest, I do that before most rides anyway.

Great lightweight tubes but you must be careful when installing as to not pinch between tyre and wheel as they are very thin. Haven't had any p*******s either so I'd recommend them.
    Mick

Where do you get these for £15 the pair?
  • They had a wiggle deal on them a while back. I think they are about £8.50 each again now though. I also get the 12% off with Wiggle so may be more if you don't.