Route from Southampton Station To Chilworth

pbkclements
pbkclements Posts: 23
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Hi,

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong area but, fingers crossed, I am just about to start some work in Chilworth (just outside Southampton) & am looking for a decent route from Southampton Central Station out to Chilworth. I've checked on Bikely but doesn't seem much there.

Thanks, main criteria would be avoid lorry laden roads & no off road.

Peter

Comments

• topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    How about this route out? It is always going to be a bit tricky going out from the city, but I'd recommend Hill Lane as a starter, and Bassett Green Road as an end section. You could alternatively go all the way up Hill Lane (unlikely to get any lorries, but its still a fairly major road), until you get to Winchester Road roundabout, where you turn right. Along Winchester road there is a cycle lane occasionally marked out, and the road is wide enough to share without too much anxiety until you get to the junction with the A33/Bassett Avenue roundabout. But here the pavement turns into shared use for pedestrians and cyclists, so is cyclable.
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    Up hill lane, through the sports centre and into Lordswood. Loads of mountain bike stuff here (the FC come in every 3 or 4 yrs to bulldoze the routes when they get silly) that make for an entertaining diversion on the way home. Need a mountain bike for it tho.

I'd avoid the Avenue at peak times or cycle on the pavement. Can be horrendous.
  • Thanks a lot really for your replies, I will check them out & over the next 6 months or so, hopefully have a good run in to work. It's great to pick your brains & again, very much appreciated.

All the Best

Peter Clements
  • Interesting that cyclestreets seems to think straight up the avenue, but I'm not sure if I would be too keen to try it at rush hour. I guess it tallies with the comment above about cycle lanes and shared use.
    http://cycle.st/j38336155
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    Personally I'd sack off Southampton Central completely and get off the train at Parkway (I'm assuming you're arriving by train). Then you just head straight up Bassett Green road and on to Chilworth Road.
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    topcattim wrote:
    How about this route out? It is always going to be a bit tricky going out from the city, but I'd recommend Hill Lane as a starter, and Bassett Green Road as an end section. You could alternatively go all the way up Hill Lane (unlikely to get any lorries, but its still a fairly major road), until you get to Winchester Road roundabout, where you turn right. Along Winchester road there is a cycle lane occasionally marked out, and the road is wide enough to share without too much anxiety until you get to the junction with the A33/Bassett Avenue roundabout. But here the pavement turns into shared use for pedestrians and cyclists, so is cyclable.

If you're limited to Southampton Central this will be your best route.