Ronde van Vlaanderen entry

AGuppy
AGuppy Posts: 44
Anyone know when entry will be open for the 2014 event???
Guppy

Comments

• zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Why don't you just google it? You could have done it with less key strokes than writing your post......
  • AGuppy
    AGuppy Posts: 44
    Have tried!!!........the website has not been updated for months :shock:
    http://sport.be.msn.com/rondevanvlaanderen/2013/eng/
    Guppy
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    It was early Jan for the 2012 event.
  • I understand the provisional date is the weekend of April 5th, but this has yet to be formally approved. I think it should be confirmed this month.
  • APIII wrote:

It takes place (as far as I know) the day before the Ronde, which always takes place at the end of March or beginning of April the week before Paris-Roubaix ... always!
  • I e-mailed Golazo Sports few weeks back they replied saying first week January

E-mail address i used aurora.kenis@golazo.com
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    APIII wrote:

It takes place (as far as I know) the day before the Ronde, which always takes place at the end of March or beginning of April the week before Paris-Roubaix ... always!

Correct, but he was asking when entry opened. 6th Jan for the 2012 event, so looks like similar for this year.
  • APIII wrote:
    APIII wrote:

Correct, but he was asking when entry opened. 6th Jan for the 2012 event, so looks like similar for this year.

ooops, my bad :-( ought to read the question more carefully before wading in. sorry
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    For this years event I booked on 15th November.
  • 2014 event registration is OPEN as of today, 1st Nov 2013 - http://www.sport.be/rondevanvlaanderen/2014/eng/
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Excellent!

Some help for a Ronde virgin please:

1. We are planning on trying the 133k version. The route hasn't been published yet, but reading between the lines suggests it will start and finish in Oudenaarde. Does that sound right?

2. If that is correct, how do practicalities like parking work please? If we have to stay in (say) Ghent, will it be easy to drive somewhere close to the start and leave the car whilst doing the ride?

3. Anything else I should be thinking of logistics-wise?

Thanks in advance!
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    Excellent!

Some help for a Ronde virgin please:

1. We are planning on trying the 133k version. The route hasn't been published yet, but reading between the lines suggests it will start and finish in Oudenaarde. Does that sound right?

2. If that is correct, how do practicalities like parking work please? If we have to stay in (say) Ghent, will it be easy to drive somewhere close to the start and leave the car whilst doing the ride?

3. Anything else I should be thinking of logistics-wise?

Thanks in advance!

1. That's what happened last year (i rode the 133km) unless they change the route significantly that's what it will be again.
    2. We camped about 15km away and rode in to the event so I didn't bother with parking. But I do remember parking being available close to the start line. Lots of folk were parking a couple of miles out along the side of the road and cycling in. I don't think you'll have any problem. If you can find accommodation just south of Oudenaarde as you'll no doubt want to stay and watch the pro race on the sunday. If you choose your accommodation spot carefully you'll be able to dart back and forth and watch the pro's several times. You'll see what I mean if you check out the map.
    3. Book accommodation early. I definitely wouldn't camp again - it was feckin freezin! Water bottles frozen inside the tent and the trout ponds we camped alongside were frozen over in the morning.

Don't underestimate the cobbles. I read a post on here that they are more like block paving than cobbles. I found them tough! Having said that a road bike with decent wheels and 25mm tyres will cope perfectly. Also make sure your bottle cages grip your bottles adequately - otherwise you'll lose them.

Some of the climbs are difficult to manage because of the sheer number of people floundering in front of you. I was forced to dismount on the first climb when someone fell off in front of me. Once you've stopped it's impossible to get going again. If riding all of the climbs is important for you then get there a day early and do it before the crowds appear.

It's a great event. I'll do it again some time. http://www.strava.com/activities/46711119