Clean a new chain?

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just putting a new chain and cassette on. The KMC chain is covered I what I think is grease rather than oil and is picking up dust and garage floor crap like mad. I assume it will continue to do so when on the bike and the grit and muck will be a bit less kind I feel.

Is it normal practice to degrease a new chain and then oil up with normal lube?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is the best lube you can use.

if anything wipe the chain down with a clean rag.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get a rag and put some Parrafin on it just enough to make the rag damp but not dripping wet. Pull the chain through the rag, the rag will take most of the grease off the surface where you dont want it but wont take grease out of links where you do want it.

Grease isnt a brilliant chain lube but its a very good rust preventer, oil is a much better lube but oil washes out in the wet.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Would you really degrease a new chain ? KMC put it there for a reason . I would say it is more like a dry wax type substance . Anyway it is meant to be there and if you think you can get rid of it and lube the chain as well as a manufacturer then good luck .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As Nick said, wipe with a dry cloth to remove any excess, ride until it needs lubing (and it lasts ages) then degrease and use Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools