Reading

Macdory
Macdory Posts: 113
edited November 2013 in MTB rides
I'm going to be working in Reading from November, and currently looking at places to move to which are within commuting distance.

Anyone have any recommendations for places with good primary and secondary schools, and probably more importantly places which are good to ride my bike in the area?

Is it practical to consider commuting on a bike into Reading - or is the traffic a little unforgiving?

Comments

• joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Wokingham's got some good schools, and is commuting distance to Reading. Can be expensive, but is close to Swinley Forest for riding. The Chilterns are not too far away either. Also some good road riding in the area.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    edited October 2013
    You could head north of Reading to Sonning Common, Wallingford or Nettlebed. Henley on Thames too - but you'll need deep pockets! Just about gets you into the Chilterns where there's plenty of good riding.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Macdory wrote:
    Anyone have any recommendations for places with good primary and secondary schools, and probably more importantly places which are good to ride my bike in the area?
    Good to see you have your priorities right!
    Macdory wrote:
    Is it practical to consider commuting on a bike into Reading - or is the traffic a little unforgiving?
    Probably depends which way you're coming from. Alright from the north (Henley, Sonning Common, Nettlebed, Wallingford) more difficult from the south due to all the M4 traffic.
  • Macdory
    Macdory Posts: 113
    Thanks guys

I've seen quite a few recommendations for Wokingham, and there are quite a few houses within my budget - I'll have to take a drive down and have a look.

Although I would prefer to be North of Reading for easier access to the likes of Oxford, most of the schools appear to be private - the only option would be to put our 2 kids in a room and pick a favourite who we can privately educate, and make sure the other has directions to the local job centre!

I like Henley-on-Thames - but I did have to laugh when I put £600k max on house price and nothing at all showed up ... hehe
  • Polf
    Polf Posts: 64
    Henley has one of the highest average house prices in the country. If you have 600K to spend, first of all, lucky you, but you will get plenty more for your money looking towards Wallingford way. Any of the towns or villages along the A4074 are nice and they all have their individual schools. As Big Al says, you are never far away from the Chilterns with some good riding and very close to the Ridgeway if you come North of Reading. (AVOID BERINSFIELD). Woodcote is nice, only ten minutes from Reading, has access to some great singletrack. If you are going to commute to Reading, do not cycle along the A4074, too many people get hurt or worse along that road.
    Yeti SB95
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275
    On One 456C

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, does not try it on"
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Also loom at Crowthorne (south of wokingham). 17 mins to central reading by train, good primary's a a good secondary I. Your doorstep. Oh and swinley forest too ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    M4 Corridor or Central?

IME houses will be better priced the further west you go. How long are you prepared to spend commuting? When I worked in Reading there were folk commuting from Swindon and Salisbury from memory. I lived in Newbury, a short hop away by train or motorway and surrounded by countryside. Better road riding than off road perhaps.