National Trophy

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,581
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
Round 1 this Sunday being organised by Abergavenny RC at Abergavenny Leisure Centre http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross/article/cyx20131009-Battle-for-National-Trophy-Cyclo-Cross-series-honours-begins-soon-in-Abergavenny-0

I'll be there bright and early (or should that be dark and early) helping set the course out and then marshalling. Hopefully it will stay dry until the race as the course can cut up quite a bit when it gets soggy (last year was a bit of a mess for the early races as the overnight frost melted). Hopefully a few off here will be there racing or spectating.

Comments

• Having seen the startlist in the Senior race, I will be partially racing but mostly spectating.
  • Pross
    Yep, quality field - I'll give you a shout! We look like staying dry until Sunday but there's a risk the rain might spread our way for race day which will be fun.
  • Pross
    Having seen the startlist in the Senior race, I will be partially racing but mostly spectating.

I kept an eye out for you but assume the weather put you off? It was a real mud fest, shame it wasn't a bit drier as I think the organisers put a real good course together but with it cutting up so much there were possibly a few too many unrideable sections. Then again that's part of cross and I didn't hear any negative feedback from the riders.

Don't know about the riders but I've just enjoyed a nice hot bath after 10 hours out in the rain and mud!
  • It was messy, but the mud wasn't the horrible clingy stuff, just really wet. I thought it was a really nice course, though it defeated me in the end as I ended up runing vast sections once the off camber went treacherous. It was quite entertaining how quickly the course changed during the vets. My kids raced it also, putting up a much better show than I did and we all liked the course. Importantly also was the parking was easy, there were good showers, coffee on hand and the pits were really big.
  • Pross
    Good to hear, BC keep asking us to put them on so it is either quite a decent event or they are desperate! :lol:
  • Probably both :wink:
  • Anyone going to Southampton?
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    I did. Fantastic slippery yet fast course. Sadly, jammed chain meant a DNF for me. Still a great experience and good to compare against riders from other regions.
  • Shoot dude, sorry to hear that. How were you faring up till then?

You were going great guns in Welwyn, you had some serious jets on there. Your training regime is paying off - forget what pseudo scientist couch potatoes tell you about thresholds :-D
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Shame about that. I think you were in my race (v40) and you must have been ahead of me as I was floundering at the back somewhere. Found it a bit of a weird course really, very nicely organised, just a bit fast to be one I could get into. On top of that I got a puncture that I didn't realise about until right after the pits! Excuses, excuses, I just wasn't very good.
  • VamP
    @PuttyKnees - Yep I was in the V40.

I was somewhere in the middle! :) Seriously though, looking at the results and the riders I was with at the time of the mechanical, I was looking at 28th - 32nd place finish. Which I would have been delighted with.

Funny thing about punctures - I always notice them just AFTER the pits. Well done for completing.

@FransJacques - Welwyn really suited me as a course, I think Central League are going there in January, so will try to go back and see how I cope with a muddy Welwyn :)
  • That would have been a good result - some NT points! Unlucky with the mechanical. It was looking like a result in the high 30s which I would have been pleased about, but I was really dumb quite frankly. I had a suspicion that I had a puncture and had a squeeze over the barriers, but I concluded that they were just a tad low only realising my mistake after the pits. Blimey. What an idiot. I'll say hello if you're heading to another.
  • VamP
    Definitely! I wear blue CC Ashwell jersey. Currently considering Milton Keynes, Shrewsbury and the Champs at Derby.
  • Anyone else take the trip up? It was a nice venue. The conditions were quite mild so the course being fairly flat and without feature was more of a power course again. Enjoyable event.