Cube Acid 27.5 2014 vs Boardman Team 650b

DunderHeed
DunderHeed Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm replacing a stolen bike with the money from the insurance and was hoping someone with a bit of HT knowledge could help me out with the component spec of these 2 bikes. There's not much difference price wise.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/acid/acid-275/
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_team650b.html

Anything useful would be appreciated,

Cheers.

Comments

• Same fork, if I was being picky, and I wasn't bothered about brand, I'd take the bike with the Shimano brakes over those Avids on the Boardman
  • The cube appears to be quite a bit shorter in the TT length also 18" + has 70 deg not 69 deg head angle.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The cube appears to be quite a bit shorter in the TT length also 18" + has 70 deg not 69 deg head angle.

What's the advantages/disadvantages of this?
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Croptonboy wrote:
    Same fork, if I was being picky, and I wasn't bothered about brand, I'd take the bike with the Shimano brakes over those Avids on the Boardman

The fork is not the same.

Boardman has 120mm tapered version. Cube is 100mm straight
  • Indeed, missed the fact the Boardman was 120mm

<should have gone to Specsavers>
  • Anyone got any comments on the the cranksets and/or shifters?
  • DunderHeed wrote:
    Anyone got any comments on the the cranksets and/or shifters?
    Never used sram x7 but they are on a par with slx. I think the Boardman has the better crank, Cube is not HT. I'd go for the Boardman, it's also lighter.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • It's not HT? I thought that meant hard tail. Have I misunderstood some terminology? More confused now than when I started. :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably he means the crank isn't Hollowtech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Ok, is that better for weight reasons?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    X7 isn't even close to as good as SLX.
    I have had both, x7 needs more adjustment, not as easy to set up and shifters never seem to last long.
  • cooldad
    DunderHeed wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Ok, is that better for weight reasons?
    Not really. I wouldn't make a buying decision over it. HTII is probably stiffer but the BB's don't last as long.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I wouldn't say the BB or any single item was a deal breaker either. As a whole bike though, I think I'd go for the Boardman all the same.
    I thought external BBs as on the Boardman were generally lighter and better than octalink as on the Cube.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    Lighter and stiffer maybe, but don't last as long.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Have a boardman ht pro carbon and really pleased with it . They did have bottom bracket problems due to lack of factory grease but that was years ago . Mine are sram x9 shifters that I prefer to shimano but it's a personal thing , once set up they don't need attention .
    Also avid brakes admittedly higher up the range but absolutely no problems for me .
  • Yeah, I've heard the elixer 3s aren't great and noisy!!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    DunderHeed wrote:
    Yeah, I've heard the elixer 3s aren't great and noisy!!

No noise from mine. They wouldn't be my first choice, but I've had no problems with mine so far (approx 200 miles).
  • Ok, cheers guys. Sounds like it's going on personal choice. I'll take a look at the boardman in halfords. The cube is a problem. I 'd have to buy it blind. The bike stores near me don't seem to stock them. Maybe there's something in that?
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Ive owned 3 cube hardtails and 1 boardman.

The frame and riding styles are very different. Cubes feel a bit racier and you feel as though your over the front wheel.

The Boardman feels a bit more relaxed and safer...
  • kammybear wrote:
    Ive owned 3 cube hardtails and 1 boardman.

The frame and riding styles are very different. Cubes feel a bit racier and you feel as though your over the front wheel.

The Boardman feels a bit more relaxed and safer...

Which cubes were they? Some are meant to be a bit racier.
  • I've got cube acid 27.5 2014, and it's a great value for money you pay, although top tube is about 20mm shorter than in other bikes I rode, wide handlebar and adjusted seat give a good comfort, I rode 60 kilometers today and i felt comfortable all the time, no backache :) the problem i had riding kellys bike. The bike shows it's potential during climbing hills, bigger wheels really help, and it will be good option for amatour racing :) Below's a link to clip presenting my cube
    http://youtu.be/s6m0Q2TjIck