Bike Insurance?

CXrider
CXrider Posts: 141
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
I haven't checked my household but I reckon i can safely assume that it would only my bike and the family's bikes on the event they were taken from the shed in the back garden.

However, there is obviously far more chance that my bike would taken out on the road when I have stopped at a pub, shops or family.

Can anybody recommend a decent, comprehensive insurance policy that covers bikes in this situation?
Thanks in advance.
Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk

Comments

• have a sh1t bike for pub trips that you dont mind being nicked

Assume nothing on your home policy ,they may not even be covered at home. Bikes are high risk items and as such there are often clauses in policies such as naming bikes over £500, ground anchors etc etc,
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Check your policy. They might cover your bikes at home, they might not.

for an extra fee you'll probably be able to add 'away from home' cover.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I have a policy with ETA as I found home insurance policies generally weak for commuting/using your bike, although I'm aware not all policies are as restrictive.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    John Lewis Home Insurance covers all of that :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    Cheers guys/gals.
    Will make some enquiries.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • I'm with Aviva atm. You need to name the bike as an item for values of £500+ but the policy covers home and away as standard.
  • Hi,
    I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing the right thing adding to this thread instead of starting a new one :)

I have checked our home insurance policy and it only covers the bikes if they are named on the policy and stolen from our home. There is no option to extend the cover to away from home & I don't want to change my home insurance provider as I'm happy with them.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a bicycle insurance policy that is actually worth more than the paper it is written on? According to most reviews, most of these policies seem to have so many exclusions that it's impossible to have a claim accepted and most reviews are negative.

So, if anyone could suggest one of the more decent insurers, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Phone them up and explain the situation. They may be willing to negotiate cover away from home for the bikes if you mention taking your custom elsewhere
  • ETA seem to be the best by a long shot - check them out
  • Hi,
    Thanks everyone who posted on this topic. ETA is one of the companies I have looked at, I think I'll contact them. :)