Shimano 2300/Claris compatibility

SJO76
SJO76 Posts: 86
edited October 2013 in Workshop
The drivetrain on my 2300 equipped commuter needs a few spares. And I want to replace the cassette for a Claris 11-28T which will necessitate upgrading the RD to cover the larger sprocket range (I will be replacing the chain too). But I do wonder if the Claris RD will work with 2300 levers given that the Claris levers are STI and that surely the Claris RD may have a different 'pull' anyway given the covered range? I can't find any tech docs on Shimano's website covering compatibility of the new group.

Now I know Claris is replacing the outgoing 2300 group so in theory it should be compatible throughout, and it is also new so I don't know how much experience there is of it out there but I thought it worth asking.

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    TBH I'd give it a try with the RD you've got already, although Shimano rate 2300 for 26t, it's well known that they're slightly conservative with their capacities. If it's not quite there, you can screw the b-tension screw through from the other side to move it out a little further.

2300 levers are STI as well. STI just means the brake and shift levers are integrated.

2300 and Claris will work fine together, all Shimano drivetrain parts will work together, as long as the speed matches since amount of pull is determined by cassette spacing. The RD doesn't care what speed it is, it just moves how much the levers tell it to. 2300 and Claris are both 8 speed so the pull will be the same.
  • SJO76
    SJO76 Posts: 86
    Cheers. I will try out the cassette and see how it goes because as you say we are just talking 8 speed RD either way.

Doh I meant dual control, not STI.

I don't plan on changing to the Claris levers until the old ones break (now I have done it) as I don't mind the thumb buttons either (and levers even Claris ones aren't cheap for the sake of it). That being said switching to my other bike does catch me out if I am commuting lots, and its not very easy to use on drops despite having large hands.

Overall I think the Claris group is getting some useful upgrades with the levers, wider range of cassettes, group specific cranks and brakes considering its the low end group.