Sanity Check

charliegirl74
charliegirl74 Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in Road general
Morning All,

Just a quick question...

What are the legal specifics regarding passing a cyclist? I know ideally we should be given 3 feet (Ha! That one's up there with flying pigs!) but is there anything that says what the minimum should be?

I had a double decker bus pass with with barely even a foot this morning.. scared the hell out of me and particularly frustrating as was a 2 laned road and he moved to the right hand lane just after he went past me anyway!!

Unfortunatly I didnt get a number or reg as all happened too quickly but wanted to give the bus company a call and have a word. Just want to have my facts right before I do so.

Also there is a cycle path running along side - they will probably say I should have used that. Technically it's my choice right?

Thanks for any advice.

Charlie

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Highway Code suggests giving as much room as you would a car.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-t ... 162-to-169

Rule 163

The accompanying photo illustrates what is ideal.

As far as I know, there is no legal definition, I.e. 3 foot or whatever - it is a personal judgement, that, sadly, many drivers get very wrong all too often.
  • Thanks Marcus.

I thought it was giving as much space as you would a car.... which is very much not the case! I think the 3 foot think is just a dream.

Getting fed up with it now, I should be able to get about safely and have as much right to be on the road. Unfortunately there is just too much arrogance and ignorance out there. (Cyclist too unfortunatly).

Feeling a bit defeated today. Think the bus may have been the last straw.

Thanks again.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Actually according to the law cyclist actually have more right on the road than motor vehicles. The hierarchy is:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Feeling a bit defeated today. Think the bus may have been the last straw.
    It happens to us all - it doesn't make it right though. Unless you have the number of the bus or the reg plate then it may not be worth pursuing... in fact it's probably not worth pursuing anyway, just let it drop - this time. I guess the bus company may run cameras in their vehicles - but without the details of which one it was I doubt you'd get far.
    I've chased a few vehicles over the last couple of years and it always makes my blood boil - now I don't generally bother - I just shout "Oi"* and do a pushing out movement with my right arm then get on with my ride.

If it's a regular route you're riding then it may be worth fitting a cheap camera to record it - loops of 5-10 minutes should be enough - then if you do get a stupidly close pass by a vehicle whose driver should know better (shouldn't they all?) then you've got some evidence to go with.

Stupid question time - is there any particular reason you're not using the cycle path? I tend not to when it's full of rubbish and gives priority to everything else along it's route.
    *my "Oi" is bluddy loud ... ;)
  • Already knew in my heart it isn't worth persuing.

I prefer to ride on the road.

The cycle path in particular is broken up by 3 sets of traffic lights and doesn't run the full length of the road I need to get down. Inefficient and usually in pretty dire state anyway.

I have had plenty of these occurences so I did fit a camera but haven't changed it over since I got my new bike.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Actually according to the law cyclist actually have more right on the road than motor vehicles. The hierarchy is:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other

I like this! :D
  • marcusjb
    smidsy wrote:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other

We all have equal right to use the roads, but priority is as you describe. Personally I put horses as the top as they are a tonne of meat with a very small brain. (mind you, the same can be said of cars - a tonne of metal with a very small brain!)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Perhaps I should have used the term 'right of way'.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marcusjb
    Exactly - sorry to be today's pedant!
  • marcusjb wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other

We all have equal right to use the roads, but priority is as you describe. Personally I put horses as the top as they are a tonne of meat with a very small brain. (mind you, the same can be said of cars - a tonne of metal with a very small brain!)

Agreed!! :)
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Thanks Marcus.

Getting fed up with it now, I should be able to get about safely and have as much right to be on the road. Unfortunately there is just too much arrogance and ignorance out there. (Cyclist too unfortunatly).

Thanks again.

That is exactly how I feel. When I am on the roads, however I am using them, I try to treat everyone like I would hope to be treated. There are just so many people who zoom about in cars/lorries/buses/bikes/motorbikes/on foot with their heads so far up their arses, almost every trip (on a bike) involves me shouting at someone or other. I usually gesture with my right arm out horizontally when I've had a near-pass as if to say "It is this wide"

If it is part of your route, and the bus is a regular service, there is a good chance it will happen again, so maybe you can get some footage then. It should also put you on your guard to get the reg number or whatever other details you can next time.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I wanted to say how this doesn't have to be the case, and it is worth speaking to the bus company.

My local bus company (LRT buses) has done some specific bike awareness training - both ways, for their drivers and for cyclists. Their bus drivers are really courteous and bike aware. I do not feel worried about our buses here in Edinburgh. Quite the reverse, I feel safer.

Taxi drivers on the other hand ....... I have a mantra of 'it's nice to be nice' but I called the police on a taxi driver earlier this year as his attitude stank. He tried to force me onto the wrong side of the road, knocking me with his wing mirror, as he felt that I should be in a cycle lane - which didn't go in the direction I wanted to (left only rather than straight on, so I would have had to have crossed 2 lanes of traffic to get to where I wanted to be had I used it). We were going down hill to red lights, with an ASL, so I was not holding him back in any way. And we argued at the next 4 sets of lights, so it's REALLY not like I held him back at all. I believe that had I been a man he would not have tried to intimidate me like that, but just because I'm old and wee, doesn't give him the right seriously to endanger me. I never shout, but I came close. People were staring ...... The police reacted quickly and took it seriously.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Agree with above here is an email I sent a company recently

I just wanted to complain about one of your drivers. My work colleagues and I were cycling along the b1256 between Rayne and Great Dunmow at approximately 2pm to 230pm on Wednesday the 4th September. Despite cycling single breasted and as courteously as possible, the driver shouted abuse at us for no known reason. If it is possible for you track this driver, please could you make him aware, there is no need to abuse cyclists, and it may be dangerous to do so, as it could easily spook a cyclist.

Thank you

and their response

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and making us aware of what appears to be inconsiderate and dangerous actions by one of our employees. Please accept my apologies for any distress caused and I can assure you we will be treating your complaint seriously.

Palmer & Harvey do not condone poor/dangerous driving by any of our drivers, and have training modules and in cab technology in place to try and keep it to a minimum.

I have forwarded your complaint to the relevant Transport Manager so they can investigate and take what they deem appropriate action.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Regards

For me, it wasn't about getting anyone into trouble or expecting any action, just highlighting the issue. I was happy with their answer.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    smidsy wrote:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other

Wonder if you can get a jersey with this on the back?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Thanks Jaxf and Meursalt.

Your advice is very helpful.

I have been pondering all morning about this. And although I dont have the specific info regarding the bus details it is probably still worth a call/email to raise this with the bus company.

If all they do is speak to the drivers and in turn make them just a little more aware then I would be happy with that as a result.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sounds like he was using his bus as a weapon to 'teach you a lesson' I would certainly report it. Once you've done that you can forget it and move on. Next guy he does that to might not be lucky enough to survive
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    meursault wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    1. Pedestrians
    2. Horses
    3. Cyclists
    4. Other

Wonder if you can get a jersey with this on the back?

I'll have one!