120/140mm fork choices?

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
My psylo' springs are too soft so i'm in the market for a set of air forks.

Criteria:-
1 1/8" steerer
QR
Air sprung
120-140mm or anywhere in between
Disc only

Type of riding:- Generally trail centres with a bit of XC in there

Budget:- £350

New or used, used however must be in very good condition.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rockshox Rebas. Well within budget from Merlins and very good forks.
  • cubedean
    Thoughts on these, i could stretch the budget a little if they are worth the £140 more than the reba? http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fox ... 4#features
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Overpriced and not worth it. If you would prefer 140mm then Rockshox Sektors or Revelations are much better for the price.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Overpriced and not worth it. If you would prefer 140mm then Rockshox Sektors or Revelations are much better for the price.

+ for the Revs
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I too would be looking at RS forks at Merlin Cycles or On One. Revs do look good. Fox would be the only other brand I might consider.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If you have a hub you can convert to 15mm then these are an absolute steal!!

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k977/a ... black.html

Top of the range with IMO the best damper Fox have ever made and far better than any Rockshox fork I've tried.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    passout wrote:
    I too would be looking at RS forks at Merlin Cycles or On One. Revs do look good. Fox would be the only other brand I might consider.

really, Fox would be my last stop lol
  • cubedean
    Unfortunately I would need a new front hub...which after just purchasing a new pair of wheels I don't fancy doing right now. I think it will probably be Reba's I go for.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    POAH wrote:
    passout wrote:

Yeah funny really, we all have our brand loyalties partly based on expereince, but none of us could have tried them all. I still think RS & Fox are the safest bet though. Had some cheap suntour forks and mid range magura forks and hated them (Magura do great brakes though).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    passout wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    passout wrote:

Yeah funny really, we all have our brand loyalties partly based on expereince, but none of us could have tried them all. I still think RS & Fox are the safest bet though. Had some cheap suntour forks and mid range magura forks and hated them (Magura do great brakes though).

I think no matter what brand you look at they have so called issues. Fox just seem to be seriously overpriced for their performance and spec.
  • cubedean
    Went for a pair of black Reba RL in the end.

Thanks for your input.
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    passout wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    passout wrote:

I think no matter what brand you look at they have so called issues. Fox just seem to be seriously overpriced for their performance and spec.

I've never had any problems with any of Fox kit, yet my RS Revelations seized solid after a year of use and were never right afterwards. They are expensive to buy at retail, but you can always find a good deal somewhere, those Fox's I linked before are a stunning deal for a top of the range fork!
  • cubedean
    Had I not just bought a new set of wheels I would have probably gone for them though.
  • lawman
    POAH wrote:
    2011 fork though

Same year as mine and I can tell you now that the RLC damper is way better than any CTD fork they produce now, all you're missing out on with those forks is the kashima coating, a small price to pay when they're that cheap!