Mountain Bike In The Back Of A Mini

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited October 2013 in MTB general
Is it possible to get a 16 inch hardtail in the back of a basic mini car as someone is coming to pick a bike up from me this week. Would i have to take the back wheel and pedals off as well?

Comments

• The new mini ? Would think you would struggle . I had one and didn't even try getting a bike in . May be possible with both wheels off and bars turned on stem .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it doesn't fit just drop the fork. Just takes a minute.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If it's the new mini, it should fit fine. I've thrown my Reed in the back of one more than once.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    That'd be an impressive design trick - building a car with the same wheelbase as an old Land Rover Discovery, that can't even take a bicycle in the back...
  • With the seats folded down, it would almost certainly fit with the back wheel off, it 'might' fit just by removing the front wheel presuming he doesn't have a passenger and you can push the passenger seat forward
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    It will with the front wheel off and the rear seats down.
    Insert bike here:
  • foy
    It is the old style mini the ones what were first made so it looks like i am going to struggle to be honest.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I think he may still struggle in an old Mini, not mush room on the back seats...
  • cooldad
    Wider than you would think, especially just a frame length.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    I was able to fit a bmx with the wheels on in an old mini in the back..... it's do-able
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Mate of mine puts his large road bike (58cm) in the back of an old mini. Wheels and saddle off, something to protect the seat from the chainrings, passenger seat forwards and it works....just
  • foy
    Thank you for all your help folks looks like i will be ok and i will follow cooldads good advice.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Just take the passenger seat out, plenty of room then, only 4 bolts to undo.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I used to fit 3 MTB's in the back of my old Cinq Sporting. Easier than you think.

I used to own a 'new' mini, fitted in the back fine.
    Insert bike here:
  • I can fit my road bike in the back of my Fiesta, both back seats down, passenger seat pushed foward as far as it will go - it *just* fits without having to remove any wheels.
  • Great, doesn't really help the OP though...
  • Croptonboy wrote:
    Great, doesn't really help the OP though...

Just saying that a similar sized car - it can be done.
  • cooldad
    Croptonboy wrote:
    Great, doesn't really help the OP though...

Just saying that a similar sized car - it can be done.
    Errrrr.
    foy wrote:
    It is the old style mini the ones what were first made so it looks like i am going to struggle to be honest.
    Not a hatchback.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Just saying that a similar sized car - it can be done.

Yes, but a Fiesta is bigger than an old Mini, not to mention the Fiesta is a hatchback, and you have the ability to fold the back seats down.
  • Ah thought it was a new style Mini - they are bigger than the world.