Trek Fuel EX6- advice on upgrades

gregneedle
gregneedle Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I have a trek fuel ex6 which I bought new a couple of years ago, my model is...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 0#features

I usually ride at Cannock chase and coed y brenin when I get the chance, looking to ride snowdon soon too =)

I was considering buying a more expensive bike but would like to explore what options I have.

Firstly the tyres seem too thin and don't provide enough grip. They are bontrager xr3 2.2. What 2.3 tyres would be a good replacement?

Secondly, is my frame the same as an ex8? If so I was thinking of upgrading the components.

Where would be a good place to start?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apart from the tyres, what doesn't work for you. It's all decent kit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I wouldn't say anything doesn't work, but this is by far the best bike I've ever owned so I guess I'm asking whether by upgrading components, will see noticeable differences?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Doesn't need upgrading, However if it was me I'd stick some shimano brakes on.. never got on with the avids and I think even the Deores are better
  • If the brakes stop you and don't have the dreaded avid screech then I would stay with them . Tyres wise if they are the original wire bead then an upgrade to the lighter folders could becworth it . I went for xr4 team issue and am very impressed .

Save your pennies until bits wear out .
  • cooldad
    gregneedle wrote:
    I wouldn't say anything doesn't work, but this is by far the best bike I've ever owned so I guess I'm asking whether by upgrading components, will see noticeable differences?
    Not unless you want to spend silly money. Good forks, decent brakes and everything else.
    Tyres maybe. And pedals, saddle and grips, but they're personal choices. Comfort, not better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    gregneedle wrote:
    Secondly, is my frame the same as an ex8?

On the 2013 model the frames are basically the same (geometry and materials), but the EX8 gets internal cable routing, stealth Reverb routing and ISCG mounts, where the EX5, 6 and 7 don't.
  • Kowalski675
    Tyres wise if they are the original wire bead then an upgrade to the lighter folders could becworth it . I went for xr4 team issue and am very impressed .

I've got the folding (and tubeless ready) XR3 Team Issues (2.35 front, 2.2 rear) - got 'em for £20 each from my LBS. No complaints for my riding on this summer's dry trails (good grippy all rounder that rolls well), but thinking of looking at something chunkier for the front now that autumn's setting in and things are getting muddier.
  • Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm still baffled by the shire choice of tyres out there. I'm fairly sure that 2.3's are the way to go, but what make and model?
    I think I'm going to pop into Swinnerton Cycles at Cannock chase and see what they recommend, I figure they will know what tyre is best suited the trail I ride most frequently (the Monkey trail).

As for upgrades, I'm gonna stick with what I have, I think from reading your responses I could end up spending a lot and not really seeing much in the way of performance gains from the bike. I'll spend the money on keeping it well maintained and replacing parts when they wear out!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    2.2" Bontrager XR4 are superb and a bit bigger than the XR3. Other than that you could try a shorter stem and wider bars, just cheap ones to see if you like it.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nothing wrong with spending cash on the bike.

What are the specific faults with the tyres compared to the conditions of the trails you ride?
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:
    nothing wrong with spending unnecessary cash on the bike.
    It's the standard BR way.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    2.2" Bontrager XR4 are superb and a bit bigger than the XR3. Other than that you could try a shorter stem and wider bars, just cheap ones to see if you like it.

I'd thought about maybe trying an XR4 Team Issue front with my XR3 rear as the trail conditions get more autumnal, what's your opinion on them for an autumn/winter tyre?
  • cooldad
    Excellent in most conditions, similar tread pattern to a Kenda Nevegal or Panaracer Rampage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    nothing wrong with spending unnecessary cash on the bike.
    It's the standard BR way.

Nowt wrong with that if its want he wants to do!
  • cooldad
    He can smoke roll ups made of £50 notes if he wants. Again you miss the point.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools