Kinesis Racelight T2 Replacement Bottom Bracket

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited July 2014 in Workshop
I have a FSA Mega Exo Bottom Bracket fitted to a FSA Gossamer Chainset on my winter bike which is a Kinesis Racelight T2, unfortunately the bottom bracket needs replacing. Can anyone help me in this department?
What bottom bracket can I replace the FSA with? What will be compatible?
Or do I need to replace both the BB and chainset?
Thanks.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why not replace the BB with another of the same?? Or are you dissatisfied with the performance of the FSA?
  • eldudino
    eldudino Posts: 170
    The FSA BB's are junk, replace it with a Shimano HT2 bottom bracket, I did that with my FSA Gossamer after the Mega Exo wore out.
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    eldudino wrote:
    The FSA BB's are junk, replace it with a Shimano HT2 bottom bracket, I did that with my FSA Gossamer after the Mega Exo wore out.

Is that possible to replace the FSA BB with a Shimano Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket?
    Will the Gossamer chainset still fit onto the Shimano BB?
  • eldudino
    eldudino Posts: 170
    Yep, it may require a tap with a rubber-faced mallet (so I've read online), but mine went in fine. I put a 105 BB in and it was less than half the cost of the FSA.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The carbon FSA chainsets need a specific FSA BB, but the non-carbon ones are compatible with HTII. The Shimano BB cups are usually much cheaper than FSA, but with regards to quality or durability, they're all much the same, i.e. none of them last long if you do a lot of wet weather/winter riding.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    bobones wrote:
    The carbon FSA chainsets need a specific FSA BB, but the non-carbon ones are compatible with HTII. The Shimano BB cups are usually much cheaper than FSA, but with regards to quality or durability, they're all much the same, i.e. none of them last long if you do a lot of wet weather/winter riding.
    eldudino wrote:
    Yep, it may require a tap with a rubber-faced mallet (so I've read online), but mine went in fine. I put a 105 BB in and it was less than half the cost of the FSA.

Be careful. I tried this and it didnt fit. despite me using a block of wood and a hammer I could not get my gossamer crank to fit with an Ultegra BB.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    bobones wrote:
    Is this actually true because the external bearings are 24mm diameter same as others? I just posted to ask if Hope BB can replace the FSA, the wesites say it will be compatible with any BB24?
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    Fitted plenty of 24mm FSA chainsets to shimano BBs. Some require a bigger tap than other to get them home though.

As has been said carbon chainsets need the specific FSA BB due to different widths and the 19mm FSA cranks need the 19mm BB4000.