Cycling around Bletchley

keith
keith Posts: 1,149
Hello,

I am just getting back in to road cycling after a bit of a break, and am also new to Milton Keynes. I am looking for some route ideas from Bletchley, somewhere around the region of 20-50 miles.

My idea of a good cycle mostly means heading in to the countryside on as quiet roads as I can find.

A bit of an introduction to any clubs in the area that are good for newish cyclist would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    keith wrote:
    Hello,

I am just getting back in to road cycling after a bit of a break, and am also new to Milton Keynes. I am looking for some route ideas from Bletchley, somewhere around the region of 20-50 miles.

My idea of a good cycle mostly means heading in to the countryside on as quiet roads as I can find.

A bit of an introduction to any clubs in the area that are good for newish cyclist would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Where abouts in bletchley?

I'd head up to Newton Longville, then through Draytopn Parslow, then Stewkley, then towards Soulbury, then up to great brickhill (one of the good climbs in the area), then little brickhill, then back to bletchley.

This can easily be extended by heading over to Woburn from little brickhill, rather than straight home. Lots of good routes round there.
    Insert bike here:
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471

Paul
  • vala
    vala Posts: 197
    I'm also from MK and most of my routes head over and start from Brickhill which isn't far at all from Bletchley. From there routes going towards Wimslow, Wilstone etc. I've been on a couple of club runs with North Bucks Road Club and both times the route was that side of MK.
  • keith
    Thank you all for your responses, it's appreciated. I have had a look on googlemaps, and there does see to be some minor roads out east and out south west that would be good to ride.

I am on Strava actually, so good idea to have a nose at my cycling neighbours.

I am based rather near the Train Station.

I ask again, are there any newbie-friendly clubs in MK?

Cheers
  • vala
    vala Posts: 197
    Try North Buck Cycling Club. A friend of mine is a member but I've tagged along to a couple of their club runs on a Sunday morning.
  • mpatts
    keith wrote:
    Thank you all for your responses, it's appreciated. I have had a look on googlemaps, and there does see to be some minor roads out east and out south west that would be good to ride.

I am on Strava actually, so good idea to have a nose at my cycling neighbours.

I am based rather near the Train Station.

I ask again, are there any newbie-friendly clubs in MK?

Cheers

You have a few choices:

icycle (bedford)
    Corleys (teamMK)
    The club based on Stony Strafrod, Twenty3c
    Insert bike here:
  • Hi,

I'm from MK :-)

The biggest road club is Team MK. They have lots of levels of rides. MK is also a SkyRide city, the next 2 Sundays feature rides of approx 30 miles and should give you a real insight into lanes and routes both north and south of MK.
  • keith
    Thanks for your replies!

Antsmithmk - I have booked on to the above rides, can't wait to be given an insight into the routes around :)
  • mpatts
    Insert bike here:
  • Excellent news. I'm the ride leader on the 27th SkyRide so I'll try to point a few lanes etc out to you :-)
  • mpatts wrote:

Yep this would cover pretty much everything south of MK in the woburn / brickhills areas. Slightly further south is Irvinghoe beacon which is an excellent climb, as is Bison Hill up to Dunstable Downs NT cafe...
  • keith
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to go for the SkyRides. Will there be a routemap available for the Brickhills Sportive??