That plastic disc thingy on the rear wheel...

Mikey23
Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Not quite sure what it's called but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I thing it's supposed to prevent the chain going into the wheel or something. My question is, is it really necessary and would it be potentially disastrous if I took it off? The reason I ask is that a couple of times now, it has come unclipped and stopped me from free wheeling properly, which causes the chain to lose tension and flap around wildly ...

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Sounds like you're talking about the dork disc!
    Take it off!!
    You won't miss it :)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^ This
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You have already taken the bell off I presume? :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Yes and I got my ear bent by a little old lady the other day for not having one... I was explaining that at a certain age it's quite common for your ding a ling to drop off but she was having none of it ...
  • Mikey23
    So it's called the dork disc... Lots of previous stuff on here
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    RC856 wrote:
    Sounds like you're talking about the dork disc!
    Take it off!!
    You won't miss it :)

So long as your RD is adjusted correctly, otherwise it could be disastrous. If you're mechanically inept leave it on.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Carbonator wrote:
    You have already taken the bell off I presume? :wink:

And the reflectors?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Mikey23
    Yup and the stabilisers, and the peppa pig transfers...
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Yup and the stabilisers, and the peppa pig transfers...

Peppa Pig transfers are where it's at buddy....minus 10 points for you.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited October 2013
    When I first got my new Cannondale the chain did skip over the top. Without the disk my nice new black Askium spokes would of been scratched. Clearly the manufacturer doesn't trust dealers (PedalOn in my case) to set up bikes up correctly and in that they are correct :roll:
  • Got rid of mine when I switched wheels - of course this meant that on the very first ride I did the chain went into the spokes - having never done so on my old wheels :D

PS Peppa rules, there's an entire channel for it now - it's the only thing ever on my TV.
  • Mikey23
    I don't have a prob with it being there as I've never been a dedicated follower of fashion. It was just that a couple of times now it has come unclipped and stopped my freewheel working. And when you have a chain whiz zing all over the place that can be a tad scary. Now I know what the issue is I can deal with but it's a bit of a faff to stop and clip it back on
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If its coming unclipped then there is something wrong with it and I would definately get rid. Dont see why people bother removing them otherwise though - I must have ridden 10,000 miles with them on and never did me any good or harm. Dont bother fitting them to new wheels that I buy but dont take them off wheels that already have them. Part of me did wonder if it provided some sort of minimal protection against spray as well as the guard against chain slip but cant say it makes much difference either way. If its caused you a problem then either fix it, replace it or bin it though.
  • Mikey23
    Thanks
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    On a road bike unless it causes any problems you can ignore them if you want as the riding style is smooth enough. On a mountain bike they are a disaster waiting to happen as all the bouncing around off road means eventually they will attack your drivetrain in someway. I forgot to take mine off my Carve mountain bike and after about a month it suddenly starting making a nasty grinding noise due to it coming loose , vibrating and catching.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Took mine off as it interfered with my spokey dokes. :)

w3s4fbcb-1365650093.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I read an interesting comment elsewhere on the web from someone who runs a bike shop. He completely agreed with all the advice from people suggesting that they take their dork disc off. He said he made a lot of money from people whose chain had come off, fouled the spokes and caused a lot of expensive damage because they had heeded this advice.

I have left mine on. It's not the done thing, but I don't want to knacker my bike.

Peppa Pig is great BTW.
  • Mikey23
    Am liking spokey dokes as much as peppa pig!

Have noticed that the pesky thing has come loose again. Is it just supposed to be clipped on to the spokes or is there something ales that should be holding it on like a spacer on the cassette side?
  • I've customised my dork disc.

Well, I say customised. Actually I discovered that dork discs are quite soluble in acetone based solvents. It's white now, rather than clear, and it's not quite flat any more, either.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Mikey23
    pic please!! i want one
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Drill some holes in it - you should be able to reduce the weight of your bike by at least...

cont. p94
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    I suppose I could hang some decorative features off it... I'm thinking magic roundabout now. Florence, Douglas, zebedee, ermintrude, Dylan et al.
  • Mikey23
    Douglas? Blooming iPad spellchecker....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    If you drill holes in it and then tie some tin lids to it with bits of string...what a beautiful noise...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Lovely... I've just remembered we used to tie bits of card to the wheels to make a noise when we were kids...
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Only £4.95 for a print of that, pretty decent.

I've just ordered 2.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    remove the disk and replace it with some cards in the spokes.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875