How do you transport your bike?

LeeJay
LeeJay Posts: 25
edited October 2013 in MTB general
As above really, just got a saris bones, and it turns out my bike doesn't fit on it.... So now looking at other ideas. Fed up of putting a dirty bike in the back of my st.

EDITED TO ADD; What rack or mount do people use?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    on the roof of the car. on the back of the van or in the van it depends.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In the back of the car or on the roof rack if the car is full. I carry a large tarpaulin to line the back, and an old duvet for padding if I'm carrying more than one.
    And that's in a tiny hatchback.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I have a Saris Bones too and it's terrible. Very difficult to get bikes on if they don't have a traditional front triangle.

So generally I sling it in the back using a couple of old blankets to protect car and bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to have a Saris Bones and it was great. I could securely carry my xc and dh bikes on it.
    It doesn't fit my new car so now I use roof bars.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Boot or back seat of car - job done - my car cost me £300 though so.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've got roof bars, but never used them. Also got a towbar and am tempted by a rack for that, but for now I just throw it in the back on a tarp; takes 2mins and I'm away. It's not often I travel any great distance with it and there's still room for a friend's bike in the back if necessary.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have a pick up so if it's just me I strap it down in the tub but I also have towbar rack for 3 bikes and I highly recommend these as the best overall solution.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Towball mounted rack, it doesnt rape your fuel economy as bad as a roof rack. However if its just me its a tarp and an old sleeping bag to pad it out and stop any rattling.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    It goes in the back of the van or on towball mounted rack if Im camping in the van, or if theres a few of us going.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    I carry a large tarpaulin to line the back,

Yeah, I keep a couple of old sheets in the boot, and have just bought a tarpaulin big enough to line the boot for a quid from one of those discount home bargains type shops, since the weather's going downhill. Fold back seat down, remove bike front wheel (it'll fit in with the wheel in, but it's less fiddly to spend a few seconds removing it). Then I have bungee cords wrapped rund the rear passenger grab handles, one to the stem and one to the front axle, so the bike's suspended and floats on the bungees over speedbumps, potholes etc, rather than banging around.
  • benp1
    benp1 Posts: 7
    Thule wingbars with a Thule proride 591 cycle carrier

Been really pleased with this set up
  • I roll mine into the back of the van and strap it down. Sorted.

I also have a towbar rack for the times when I need more, but I never actually need more, I only have 2 seats in the van and my van would easily fit 2-3 bikes in. Maybe I'd use it if there was a massive group of us going but as I only have 2 or 3 friends locally that ride with me I doubt that would happen.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • I carry my bikes in my campervan either standing up with some shaped pads for support or can fix them securely to the floor with some adapted roof bar fittings. Other camper owners use tow bar mounted fittings but I prefer to keep my bikes safe inside both from risk of accident and from light fingers.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Wheels off, seats down and in the back of a teeny tiny hatch it goes.

My brother has bought a towball mounted rack that will carry 3 bikes.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • I usually transport mine by riding it . Not going roof mount after too many stories of targeted theft of expensive kit.
  • cooldad
    Yeah I've heard people jump off moving cars onto your roof.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah I've heard people jump off moving cars onto your roof.
    That's just silly.

They'd wait 'til you stopped at some lights.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    Cyclists don't stop at lights. Don't you read the Daily Mail?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    All joking aside, transporting it inside your car makes it a lot less visible to thieves who like to follow people home to see where they keep their expensive toys.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    On the roof normally or stick it in the boot, if it's empty, as it goes in without having to remove wheels etc (good thing about living in the back of beyond and owning a 4x4).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • On the roof of my A4 Avant. Keeps the inside of the car clean and means you can throw lots of kit into the back as well. Not worried about it being snatched while i'm in the car as it's got a lock on it. A couple of additional tie wraps also help.
  • rockmonkeysc
    One issue I have found with roof bars is that at motorway speed with a bike on the roof my fuel consumption goes from 52mpg down to 46mpg.
    If im doing a lot of motorway miles it goes in the boot on an old curtain.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just put the bikes in the back of the car wrapped in an old quilt. That way they have no effect on the driving of the car and nothing to worry about.
  • rockmonkeysc
    No matter how careful I am I always seem to get some mud in the car when it goes in the boot. Putting it on the roof also saves the effort of taking out the child seats.
  • Kowalski675
    I avoid that by not having kids.
  • ... or by strapping the child seats to the roof bars.
  • rockmonkeysc

Being a virgin isn't all bad then?
  • Kowalski675

Being a virgin isn't all bad then?

There's this wonderful new invention called contraception, you know... :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    tootsie323 wrote:
    ... or by strapping the child seats to the roof bars.

Now that's a good idea. :lol:
  • 2 on the roof mounts and 3 on the high mount rack on our rover streetwise