Worn chainring after using worn chain

nigelgos
nigelgos Posts: 128
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I let my chain get too worn and when I replaced it I was getting gear slipping. I then replaced the cassette and this fixed the issue. However I have noticed that when on my front small cog and back couple of small cogs I will still slip sometimes.

Would replacing the small front cog (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... tAodOCwAPg) be the next step? It seems a little strange to me as I don't use that cog very often, has the big cog also worn but because of greater number of teeth I don't experience slippage? Should I really replace the whole front chainset? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod43207)

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    no - its probably just the fact that you are cross chaining. you don't need to be in small small cog combo and its not good for your chainset.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^ This, not a good idea to cross chain.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    I don't think it's this. I know not to cross chain. The skip can happen when on the back 2nd or 3rd smallest.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    IMO that's cross chaining, you can get the same effect on the big front ring and a bigger back cog with a straighter chain.
    Rough guide bottom half of cassette use big front ring, top half use small front ring or there about but hey it's your bike so do what you think is best.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    There seem to be a lot of folk getting slippage as a result of cross chaining. Can't see how that works myself.

The chainset should last a long, long time. You should get through a fair few chains and cassettes before worrying about worn chainrings. If you are getting slippage when cross chained, it maybe that your gears aren't indexed as well as they should be. It's certainly true that cross chaining should be avoided but it is equally true that the odd bit of cross chaining should do no harm at all. I think a lot of people reckon they do it less than they actually do. It isn't something to worry about.
    Faster than a tent.......