Loose Headset = Dangerous ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hopefully someone can advise.

Basically I am building up a new SS commuter bike (30 miles a week), I already have a SS. The current bike has a slightly loose headset (0.5mm of play) but the allen nut in the top cap is rounded off so I cannot remove. My question is is this slight play in the headset actually dangerous ? If not then I am happy to use as is until my new frameset arrives which will be in 2 weeks so I only have to wait 2 weeks before I can use the new bike.

I know I could get a LBS to sort but that will probably involve drilling out the nut and/or sawing off the stem etc. Apart from the cost of this on a practical level I will be no alternative transport. There is no bus that goes to where I need and I don't have a car plus the walk is quite far everyday

If I can get away with just using as is for a few weeks then that would be ideal but I am not sure if its safe to do so, For reference the fork on the current SS is carbon with a Alloy stem. I have not noticed any vibration or braking issues.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it can be dangerous. but again it might not be,

what i would do is this first. undo the stem bolts. make sure the frame is sat on the bottom bearing correctly. press down on the stem and then tighten up the stem bolts. this might even take any load off the top cap bolt allowing you to remove it.

if this does not work then...
    I would call up the LBS and tell them the problem and ask if you could pop in at X time on Y day and could the fix and replace while you wait as it is your only transport. PS take cookies as well.

as to what can happen. bearing type will change what might happen. the cage of balls will not be correctly loaded and can fail. this could cause the steerer to jam in the headtube. so no steering.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown