Advice for tourists visiting the UK

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
- from the Guardian...

Why not try the famous echo in the British Museum Reading Room?

It's customary for visitors to Lords Cricket Ground to stand in front of the large white screen and wave. The batsmen will always wave back.

Never pay the price demanded for a newspaper; good-natured haggling is customary.

Never attempt to tip a taxi-driver.

Visitors in London hotels are expected by the management to hang the bedlinen out of the windows to air.

Parking is permitted in the grounds of Buckingham Palace on payment of a small fee to the sentry.

London barbers are delighted to shave the patrons' armpits.

It is customary when boarding a carriage on the London Underground, to introduce yourself by name to every other passenger, and to proffer a firm handshake.

The number of yellow lines down the side of a road indicates how many rows of cars may be parked there.

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    When meeting someone from the North of England, remember to ask them just how grim life is in their part of the country

It is not only dogs who are allowed to urinate against trees, lamp-posts, etc, it is also perfectly acceptable for people too

Ignorant about the various countries in Britain? Just refer to everyone as "English". This will work especially well in Glasgow, for example.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Wave to all taxi drivers, and if they are not looking your way at the time, shout TAXI!

Give Nottingham a miss, please, just don't bother trying to visit :(

The older I get, the better I was.

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Make the most of bus travel, drivers like being paid in small change.

When using the tube it is customary to stand on the left.

Try a traditional Phall curry, its nice and mild and is ideal for beginners.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    When visiting Scotland one must always try the local delicasy which comes in the form of a Mars bar covered in batter.

When visiting anywhere north of Oxford its customary to have gravy with all types of food,even Cornflakes.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • UK airport security will be happy to let you hold their machine gun while they take your photo

If attending a Scottish football match, it is customary for visitors to wear a white strip emblazoned with "1996" in large lettering, as this commemorates a famous football victory

If walking a dog to Britain, it is customary to place droppings in a plastic bag then to fling the bag as far as possible.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Bus companies are only allowed to charge fares to UK citizens - not all drivers are aware of this, so stand your ground!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    If travelling by London Transport in the morning, invite your fellow passengers to join you in song. They will be delighted and happy sing-a-long.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:
    If travelling by London Transport in the morning, invite your fellow passengers to join you in song. They will be delighted and happy sing-a-long.

I remember this when I used to work in London, not the singing bit, but how happy everyone was in the morning, they were always so cheery and smiley :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    ...oh, and with regard to police: the majority are not armed, but should you see an armed copper it is entirely commonplace to go up and try to put your hand on their weapon (gun, etc). This will usually be received with mirth and merriment.

Likewise, police dogs at football matches are known for their friendly and docile manner, so should be patted at every opportunity.

And if you see a "Community Support Officer" or whatever, it is absolutely vital to address him/her as "Mr/Ms Plastic Plod". This is a term of affection and will be much appreciated.

PS: with regard to our continental neighbours, should you go to France and come across a police officer with at badge saying "CRS" on the arm, it is absolutely acceptable to put your arm around them and ask for a kiss.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Bicycles at railway stations are for community use. Just help yourself.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you ever go to a Liverpool football match, they have a special minute of quite at the beginning of each match for visitors to introduce themselves to the fans. You have to shout quite loudly so that everyone can catch your name and country of origin.
  • If you're planning on attending a game of 'kick the ball' in Glasgow please remember that an ‘I Love The Queen’ pin badge and Union Jack flag are de rigueur in the home end in Celtic Park - the same goes for Ibrox where an Irish Tricolour or t-shirt with the Pope’s likeness is essential. Enjoy the match!
  • And don't forget that everyone in Scotland is Scotch!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    While we are on the subject of Scotland, it is tiny.
    Check out the UK TV weather on the BBC, Scotland is only about the size of Kent.
    You could easily go anywhere by taxi.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    The Gallic greeting of a kiss on each cheek is now is de rigueur, when being introduced to strangers, particularly prevalent in the working class areas in the north.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Stay in your hotel until just after 9am so you don't get in my effing way whle I try to get to work! :D
  • secretsam
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Stay in your hotel until just after 9am so you don't get in my effing way whle I try to get to work! :D

Do you live in Oxford? Some Japanese tourist there once got clear footage of me "waving" to them in the time-honoured manner because they were filming the high street at 8.30 in the morning!