New FR/DH/AM Tyre

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking for an all mountain, freeride downhill tyre to use in all conditions.

The reason I need to change from my much loved Hans Dampf is down to tyre clearance. It's recently been highlighted to me that tyre rub can potentially damage the frame, so I need a thinner tyre. I don't really know how much thinner I need to go, and what type of tyre to get as I've never deviated from hans dampf

Here's a pic of my hans dampf providing little tyre clearance.

312a49ca-c5f4-44d4-9c97-72f0f7bc746d_zpscf1b4202.jpg

Comments

• pesky_jones
    I forgot to mention in the previous post, on the inside of the frame, there is a "nobbles width" of stripped paint.

I'm thinking about just cutting the nobbles down where the arrow points to, seeing as that is the only contact point, and where the paint is stripped
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks a bit tight to fit in any DH / FR tyre other than a 2.35" Maxxis Highroller. They may have the same size marked on them as your current tyre but are actually much smaller.
    What frame is it and do you really need a heavy dh tyre with dual ply carcass or just a big volume all mountain tyre? There can be quite a large weight difference.

Cuttin the side nobbles off will leave you with no grip for cornering.
  • pesky_jones
    Looks a bit tight to fit in any DH / FR tyre other than a 2.35" Maxxis Highroller. They may have the same size marked on them as your current tyre but are actually much smaller.
    What frame is it and do you really need a heavy dh tyre with dual ply carcass or just a big volume all mountain tyre? There can be quite a large weight difference.

Cuttin the side nobbles off will leave you with no grip for cornering.

Ok I'll look at maxxis highroller.

It's a dartmoor hornet frame, I dont know whether I need a heavy DH tyre with dual ply etc, I reckon I probally do. I ride downhill and freeride lines with big jumps and berms mainly. Rarely use it for XC or all mountain as such
  • rockmonkeysc
    High rollers are great in dry conditions. For wet conditions I would get a 2.3" Specialized Hillbilly which is identical to the old Maxxis Swampthing.
  • pesky_jones
    Are hans dampf actually wider than 2.35" then? Or are the other tyres you've mentioned considerably smaller? Cos the 2.3" specialized hillbilly is only 0.05 smaller than the hans dampf, which is 1.27mm, which devided by two gives me an extra 0.635mm where I need it!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    If your going going maxxis i say High roller rear and Minion front, i find there is a section as you lean on hte high roller where there isnt much grip so you kind of slide into the side nonble... So basically i find it works great on the rear but if you dont lean hard enough its a bit disconcerting on the front.

another alternative is the Specialized Butcher control, brilliat tyre more grippy than the above, lighter too not that it matters and i haven't pinched mine either yet so great all round tyre.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schwalbe tyres come up very big, the Hans Dampf is more like a 2.5 Maxxis, a 2.35 Maxxis is more like a 2.1 in other brands. A 2.2 Rubber queen might be a good shout, still pretty big but a smidge smaller and still gets good reviews.
  • pesky_jones
    I've just bought a Maxxis Highroller 2.35 from halfords!

It's a shame because I only noticed the removed paintwork when I was replacing the old tyre, so I literally have had a fresh hans dampf on there for about a week. If I had recognised the issue earlier, I would of bought the highroller instead! oh well I'll put the pretty much fresh hans dampf on the front, to replace the slightly worn current front hans dampf!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Schwalbe 2.35" tyres are huge, bigger than a 2.5" maxxis.
  • pesky_jones
    Thanks RSC. Can't believe they had ONE of the exact tyre I needed.

Literally must of been the only tyre bigger then 2" in there.