Planet X vs Defy1 vs Madone2 vs Caad 10?

TFC1
TFC1 Posts: 62
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all, I did a post before on the beginners forum, i am going to be doing a long charity ride which needs plenty of training and have been doing a bit of research on which bike to get. I have narrowed it down to a shortlist and assuming they all feel similar when i test ride would you reccomend any in particular from these:

1. Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra (£999)
2. Giant Defy 1 (£999)
3. Trek Madone 2.1 (£999)
4. Cannondale Caad10 (2013 - £1089)

I am 6 ft tall, just under 15 stone and movining to my first road bike from years on MTB's and want to be comfortable on the training and the main ride (500 miles in 5 days).

Any advice would be great.

thanks

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Giant Defy 1, comfortable position and ride.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Try them out if you can and pick the one you find most comfortable / sexy / likely-to-be-able-to-sneak-past-the-other-half.
    They're all good bikes with pros and cons so just choose the one YOU like most :¬)
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • How long is a "long charity ride?" Don't quote me on this but i'm led to believe that the bikes you list are completely different, the PX and CAD10 are more race orientated whilst the Giant and Trek are more suited to sportive style riding. With that in mind it'd have to be the Giant or Trek. The Giant got the C+ best bike for £1000 and always gets good reviews, as does the Trek, I don't think you could really go wrong with either of those.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    blinddrew wrote:
    Try them out if you can and pick the one you find most comfortable / sexy / likely-to-be-able-to-sneak-past-the-other-half.
    They're all good bikes with pros and cons so just choose the one YOU like most :¬)
    ^^This
  • TFC1
    Thanks, the ride is 500 miles in 5 days in Spain. I am going to try them all and go for the most comfortable one but was really looking for views on which is best if all feel just as good on a test ride.

Although, based purely on gut feel (i.e. sexiest) prior to the test rides I am so far leaning slightly towards the Planet X.

Thanks
  • diamonddog
    I ride one with Sram Rival it's a very good bike IME. :)
  • TFC1
    So far i have given the Defy 1 a go and wasnt overly keen.

does anyone know if there are any Planet X stockist in London where i can give them a go?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    TFC1 wrote:
    So far i have given the Defy 1 a go and wasnt overly keen.

does anyone know if there are any Planet X stockist in London where i can give them a go?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/contact/uk-distributors

Triathlon Zone
    117 Hatfield Road
    St. Albans
    Herts AL1 4JS

Telephone: 01727 833188

http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

Not exactly central London - but maybe close enough.

Looks like the RT57 has also dropped in price - which could be an alternative to the Pro Carbon:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike

Looks like you get an improved frame but lower end groupset for the same money... but 105 is still considered to be pretty good.
    Simon
  • TFC1
    Great. Looks like a trip to St Albans this weekend! :D
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    In short, they are all the same. You will be happy with any of them.

Pic the one that fits best and you like the look of.

Why do I say this?

I have a spec allez and a PX carbon pro. I have a much better relationship with the PX, for reasons I can't put my finger on. Over a long ride I would say I'd be just as fast on either, but would infinitely prefer to do any ride on the PX. Pick the one that floats your boat.
    Insert bike here:
  • TFC1
    Well after doing tests on these i have booked into Triathlon Zone in St Albans for my Planet X Fitting this saturday. Then about two weeks for it to arrive. Now the only decisions are Ultegra vs SRAM and Carbon v white v baby blue!!! :)
  • White with Ultegra.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    White with Ultegra.

I say white with SRAM....but then I would!
    Insert bike here:
  • diamonddog
    Sram any colour frame. :)
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    black with ultegra ;¬)
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • TFC1
    Decision made. Went to Triathlon Zone iin St Albans and ordered the Planet X Pro Carbon in white with Ultegra (compact double). :lol::lol::lol:

now just a couple of weeks to wait! :?
  • diamonddog
    Enjoy it. :)
  • mk1fish
    mk1fish Posts: 23
    TFC1 wrote:
    Decision made. Went to Triathlon Zone iin St Albans and ordered the Planet X Pro Carbon in white with Ultegra (compact double). :lol::lol::lol:

now just a couple of weeks to wait! :?

good choice I was there 2 weeks ago doing the same thing complete bike fit before anything was ordered. the guy that owns the shop mike was top class. tho I went for pro carbon also white with sram rival with force rear hopefully mine should be here by the end of the week.

cant wait
  • TFC1
    He is very good. I got a full bike fitting for £45 as part of the deal and he recommended a different stem length and bar width and was calling Planet X to sort it out. He will also do a full service when it arrives - ready to ride!

Excellent service.
  • I've had the bike fitting service there too and can't fault it, great service. I did manage to drop into Planet X in Rotherham one day whilst away with work but due to the distance didn't fancy making another journey there so ended up ordering through Mike. Overall very helpful and takes the hassle out of ordering online and sorted for the stem and bars to be changed accordingly, and means you can collect ready to ride. I ended up going for the RT-57 in the end and am just eagerly awaiting delivery !