rear light ( I know I know)

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
I know I know not another question about bike lights BUT How many lights are enough...

I now have three tail lights ( one main, one fibre flare and one flasher) and four front ( one main, a spare main and two flashers) I ride unlit country roads and urban road...can you ever get too much!

Comments

• BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    It depends on the power of the lights. I 'only' have 2 front and 2 back lights....but they are real beasts!
  • I only have 5 on the rear, or 6 if you count a helmet light. 4 on the front.

Rear:
    2 x MJ818
    1W Smart Lunar R1
    2x dynamo powered, always on.
    Helmet is 0.5W

Front:
    1x Dynamo powered, always on.
    2x Cree Magicshine clones on half power with wide angle lenses and shades to keep the beam low.
    1x Cree adjustable wide/spot light on the handlebars for off-road and unlit country lanes. Switched off around town or if cars approaching.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1 rear light, moon shield 60, all you need!

Front is a cheap cree torch on a aftermarket mount.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You need 4 max IMO.

One powerful front/back and secondary flashers/backups.

Front:
    Hope 2
    Exposure Trace

Rear:
    Hope District
    Cateye Rapid 3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Rookie wrote:
    1 rear light, moon shield 60, all you need!
    This is never correct :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • At the moment I'm running the following:

Rear:
    - Lezyne Zecto (flashing), hanging from saddle bag loop
    - Fibre Flare, hanging from middle jersey pocket, or back-pack depending on whether I'm commuting or not (was better mounted on seat-stay, but one of the clips broke :cry: ) This gives good side visibility.
    - Lezyne Femto, mounted on seat-post - this is my backup in case one or both of the other lights pack in.
    (the Zecto and Fibre Flare are re-chargeable)

Front:

- Exxposure Diablo mk4 (helmet mounted)
    - Lezyne Super-Drive (hemlet mounted)
    - Lezyne Mini-Drive (handlebar mounted) - Flashing.
    I use the mini-drive for attracting attention, and use the helmet mounted lights for seeing where I'm going (particular for going round corners).

When I switch to the winter bike, It had marathon winters which have a 3m reflective strip around the sidewall of the tyre which gives adequate side-visibility as well.