What is the most suitable stem size

jorgelopes
jorgelopes Posts: 35
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.

I think I have to replace my stem because the actual one doesn´t "grab" the bar properly. I think maybe 2 bolts are not sufficient to do the job.... This is the stem:

http://www.rczbikeshop.com/portugais/fr ... k-red.html

Is there any way of get more grip between the stem and the bar?

What is the best size for me? I have 1,79m and my bike is a 29er.

Thank you.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stupid price for a stem but whether two or four bolt they should work. Have you tried tightening it up?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Friction/carbon paste might help.

Size is down to preference really, although there are limits at which you have to start thinking you might have the wrong sized bike.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Are the stem and bar the same size ?

The length of the stem is down to personnal preference more on a mountain bike. On a road bike it is more important to get the right length as it affects the riding position more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That is the most ridiculously overpriced stem I've ever seen!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The carbon gel is the answer I search! I was relutant about spending more money in a new stem. Thank you for the tip!

I have already tightened hard both bolts. My torx screw driver isn´t very good so I can´t tight it harder. Each time I ride I have to reajust the bar and tight the bolts :(

Yes, the stem is expensive, I think it's because of the light weight, but I bought it with discount for about 60 Euros. The manufacture explains that the 2 bolts instead of 4 is to make a lower pressure on a carbon bar. I have a Easton EA70 XC Flat Bar 31.8mm - 685mm- 9 degree.

Thank you.
  • cooldad
    Still a stupid price IMHO. And Torx bolts? Just weird.
    I would not trust my bars if the only thing between me and a lot of pain was some carbon paste.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Obviously something's wrong if it keeps coming loose. I wouldn't rely on some paste to fix it.

Could you borrow some bars and a stem to see where the problem lies?

And that stem you listed is a silly price. I'd expect it to pedal for that price
  • The bar doesn't get loose it just rotate slowly. I think this stem is not ideal for this bar because 2 bolts don't provide enough strenght for such a large bar. Some bars have some carved lines in the middle to provide better grip but this is bald, which doesn't help. The bolts are in titanium but crapy, in my opinion. I will replace them by hex socket bolts.
  • cooldad
    I have used cheap two bolt stems that work fine, and the scribed marks on bars are to line things up, not for grip.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I have used cheap two bolt stems that work fine, and the scribed marks on bars are to line things up, not for grip.
    Ok.

This stem is not functional for mtb, especially for 29er, with larger bars, that´s probably the reason they stop producing it:

http://www.frmbike.biz/index.php/en/sho ... gory_id/28

Not a good choice but the money is already spent.

:)
  • cooldad
    If I was you I would cut down on the drugs. From one grossly overpriced useless stem to a hopefully less useless still grossly overpriced one.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I will start by replacing the bolts today before trying the carbon gel. I will give feedback later.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure how chnging the bolts will change anything.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yesterday after I replaced the two bolts I ride for 2 hours with no problems. I bought 2 alum hex socket bolts for 1Eur which I think are easyer to tight. I couldn't tight hard the previous ones because of the lack of resistance of the bolts, or maybe my torx tool wasn't good (I also tried with another one but the result was the same). The stem manufacturer refers a limit rider weigh of 85kg and I'm 72kg so I think is safe.

Thanks for your feedback.