Another n+1 thread

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
I know you guys love an n+1 challenge. Sort-of deciding I might want to replace the commuter. It has the world's longest head-tube, meaning I can't set up the same position I have on my other bikes, and I quite like the idea of disc brakes to avoid wearing out rims. Here are the criteria so far:
1. Available as frameset only (I want to build it up myself)
2. Clearance for 32mm CX tyres plus mudguards (which I think means a very high-clearance cross frame)
3. Disc brake compatible
4. Mudguard and rack mounting points (though I could add these to a carbon frame myself if necessary)
5. Light/responsive enough to be enjoyable for winter training - don't want it to feel like a Winter clunker if I can help it
6. 135mm rear dropout spacing, so I can share wheels with my CX bikes
7. Ability to set up in a reasonably racy position (no excessively long head tubes or slack seat tubes)
8. All else being equal, I'd prefer a carbon frame, but happy to consider other materials
9. Not bothered about manufacturer; happy to consider Chinese frames
10. Don't want to spend silly money

Note that requirements 2 and 5 aren't as exclusive as it might seem. The idea is that I'd mostly ride with road tyres (which is when I'd want it to feel like a road bike) but have the ability to put CX wheels on (with the mudguards still in place) for towpaths, snow etc.

Any suggestions?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• I often look at this: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRO ... e_and_fork

but at the moment n+1 would equate to divorce+1 ;)

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    IMG_0347.jpg

Wot Veronese68 rides. Such a good looking bike and ticks all of the above boxes (I think)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I would go for the Pro 6. veronse will be along shortly to give you the details.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,362
    Wot they said. :D
    You are more than welcome to give it a try if it's the right size for you, it's a 57cm. I've just winterised it so it has guards and 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on it. It's fancy ali with full carbon forks, rather than a carbon frame.
    I may have mentioned before that I'm really happy with it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Singular Peregrine.

http://www.singularcycles.com/shop/inde ... grine.html

If I don't get on with my Cotic Roadrat I'm having one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Get a custom designed titanium frame built to your own specification from here. Source your own components and fanny's your aunt.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jonnyboy77 wrote:
    but at the moment n+1 would equate to divorce+1 ;)

- Jon

In which case you have reached S-1 (where S is the number of bikes that would result in separation).
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get a custom designed titanium frame built to your own specification from here. Source your own components and fanny's your aunt.

Anyone had a custom frame built at a distance by a Chinese manufacturer?

I don't know if I would trust them to get the spec that I wanted right and surly the point of custom, is the whole experience that goes with it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    If you're going to go ti. Not sure it will come in under budget though.
    Has anyone mentioned a Pro6 yet?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Just saw one of them there Pro 6s in the flesh - it's an absolute cracker. That would be on my short list.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Wot they said. :D
    You are more than welcome to give it a try if it's the right size for you, it's a 57cm. I've just winterised it so it has guards and 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on it. It's fancy ali with full carbon forks, rather than a carbon frame.
    I may have mentioned before that I'm really happy with it.
    Apologies for slight thread hijack - I have the Vittoria Randonneur Crosses on my Pompetamine, and am looking for some for my winter commuter. I can only find Vittoria Randonneur. Are they the same?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • veronese68
    The crosses have deeper tread. I got mine from Planet X, they still seem to have stock.
    Standard, wired
    Pro, folding
    I went for the Pro in 32mm. Only had them on for a couple of days but seem good so far. I was recommended the pro as I was told it has a higher thread count and rolls better.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    rubertoe wrote:
    Get a custom designed titanium frame built to your own specification from here. Source your own components and fanny's your aunt.

I don't know if I would trust them to get the spec that I wanted right and surly the point of custom, is the whole experience that goes with it.

PM Monty Dog who hangs out in Road, he has had about 5 IIRC
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Coach H wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

PM Monty Dog who hangs out in Road, he has had about 5 IIRC

And I have of course. PM me with your email address and I'll send you the specs I agreed and photos of the finished product. I've read some scare stories but been thoroughly satisfied with my build.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,669
    Regardless of the source, spending money on a frame and transferring the components is definitely the way to go. The problem with Ti is that although you can find a frame for a grand, the matching Ti seatpost, stem, seatclamp and headset can be deceptively expensive. :oops:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Chris King specifically advise against putting a Ti headset in a Ti frame so I just stuck with a steel one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The problem with Ti is that although you can find a frame for a grand, the matching Ti seatpost, stem, seatclamp and headset can be deceptively expensive. :oops:

It was 5 years ago but my Chinese sourced Ti frame was £300. I paid £35 for Ti seatpost, £20 for stem, £2.50 for seat clamp, £21 for headset. Total build for Ti frame, carbon fork, handbuilt wheels and Ultegra spec was about £1300. To be fair I did shop around for parts and called in favours from contacts in the trade but it can be done for sensible money.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Thanks all, knew this was the right place to ask. Pro6 does indeed tick all the boxes, has very similar geometry to my CX race bike, and is fractionally lighter. Just need to save the pennies now :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.