Anyone on here able to read Chinese?

zanelad
zanelad Posts: 269
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
Bit of a long shot, but we've received a thank you card (well we think it is) from our neighbour's wife.

She's written it in Chinese and rather than just ask her what it means, we'd like to find out by ourselves if we can.

I cant seem to get any of the online translation sites to work. I've scanned the card, but it's saved as a pdf and pasting the text into the online translation sites doesn't work.

If anyone is willing to help I could e-mail the text to you if you'd be kind enough to tell me what she's written.

Yours with fingers crossed.

Z.

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Take it into the local chinese takeaway and get a portion of ribs while you are at it.

I have a friend that is Cantonese (most cantonese speakers write in Mandarin) and would happily translate it but she is away at the moment so it would be a few weeks before she could respond.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • You can put it into an OCR system to find the characters e.g. http://www.newocr.com/
    Then put the result into google translate.
  • Natchi
    Natchi Posts: 3
    If you have a smart phone, on android you can use your phones camera to translate using google translate app, or if you have an iphone you can use an app called word lens
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    most translate apps are rubbish particulalrly with eastern character languages, chinese takeaway suggestion is your best bet.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    The Op has more faith in human nature than me. Asking someone you don't know to 'translate' something for you could be asking for trouble. :twisted: :lol:
  • zanelad
    Ballysmate wrote:
    The Op has more faith in human nature than me. Asking someone you don't know to 'translate' something for you could be asking for trouble. :twisted: :lol:

What's the worst that could happen? :D
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Zanelad wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

What's the worst that could happen? :D

There could be a lot of mileage in the wind up!
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    No, sorry.
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    take a photo and stick it in this thread, my mate's wife is Chinese, I'll see if she will translate it for you.
  • zanelad
    Thank you.

Here's the photo...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Must....fight.....temptation....to.....make....up.....translation...

Can someone translate this ASAP. I'm actually dying to know what it says now. Better be good after all the hype :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I'm told it is along the line of this as Chinese does not translate directly to English:

Dear Colletee,
    It's very nice to know you and I am lucky to have you as a neighbour. You have helped me very much and I thank you.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    seanoconn wrote:

Can someone translate this ASAP. I'm actually dying to know what it says now. Better be good after all the hype :lol:

Dear Collette,

Do you happen to know anyone by the names of seanoconn or pinarello001 as they have contacted me with regards selling some fake pina balls :shock: Please tell the filthy little perverts that I am a woman of class and if they persist in contacting me my cousin Yu Stin Ki Pu will mince them up and feed them to the squaddies!

:wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • zanelad
    Neal1984 wrote:
    I'm told it is along the line of this as Chinese does not translate directly to English:

Dear Colletee,
    It's very nice to know you and I am lucky to have you as a neighbour. You have helped me very much and I thank you.

Thank you,

That makes sense as Mrs Z has been helping the lady during her pregnancy.

Thank you very much.

Now all that's left is to reply. I think that we'd better do that in English!.

Z.
  • zanelad
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Dear Collette,

Do you happen to know anyone by the names of seanoconn or pinarello001 as they have contacted me with regards selling some fake pina balls :shock: Please tell the filthy little perverts that I am a woman of class and if they persist in contacting me my cousin Yu Stin Ki Pu will mince them up and feed them to the squaddies!

:wink:

I've often warned Mrs Z about suchfolk, and the perils of hanging around with men in lycra.

Luckily, her convent education prepared her for the worst that the world can throw at her. :D
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    This is a word for word translation.

"Dear Collette,

I am lucky to have such a nice and friendly friend.
    I am very lucky, also you helped me with my daily life details, i feel very happy.
    thank you very much !

Friend: Qiong Sexton.
  • zanelad
    Thanks to all who helped.

I hope that the Google translation of our reply is as accurate.

If not, watch the press for a diplomatic incident in Aylesbury..... :D