superstar wheelset

coulddobetter
coulddobetter Posts: 812
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496
Seems like a good deal . But would welcome your input.
Especially as I intend going tubeless anyway . Current wheels are Boardman formula hubs on mavic 319 rim . Would be a significant weight drop and easier hub servicing from what I can gather . Weigh 90 kg and do cross country on a ht pro carbon hardtail .

Comments

• ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    Can't compare them to your current wheels but I have this wheelset and would happily recommend. To the point of where I was offered a set of Hope Pro 2s on Flow rims at the weekend and turned them down because I am perfectly happy with this wheelset.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    For the price they are a decent sets of wheels, tubeless is easy to set up but some tyres can be tight to put on. Only negative side is that the build quality isn't great 3 out of 4 of my wheels had spokes come loose after quite low mileage, great once sorted but just bear it in mind you can return them to be sorted but I got mine done at a trusted lbs for my piece of mind.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    that's a good deal

I have a set of SS AM 490 wheels and they have been brilliant. After 2 years of hard riding the bearings need a bit of attention, but apart from that, no issues whatsoever.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    Very good deal as long as you like white wheels.

Ive got flows on switch evo hubs, had them from superstar for about three months and to date they have been spot on. I know some people talk about the build quality but mine were fine. I would recommened them.
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938
  • Not that much of a fashion victim to worry re colour , they will get dirty anyway .
    All pretty good so far , think I will go for it .
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the tales of poor workmanship on superstar wheels was enough to put me off these which is a shame cause the price is dam good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Superstar did have a lot of issues a while ago, now they don't, the bearings don't last as long as people 'expect' (rightly or wrongly).

I have an SS set bought used, 2009 ish, had to do the rear wheel bearings when I got it (£8-9) and now the Freehub bearings (£7.50)....fronts are still good though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Ive just had my hope set with crest rims rebuilt with mavic xm319 rims funnily enough .
    i found the crest rims warent strong enough for what i was doing and at 14st i was pushing the weight limits anyway .

After buckling mine quite badly twice on a local xc route and taking 20 mins to wrestle the tyre off the rim i decided enough is enough. They are an absolute pig to get off tyres off with most tyres although unless its a catastophic failure you should be ok if going tubeless.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011