105 shifters

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Not long had these but was just wondering - should they be set up so that after you have changed from small to large chainring (34-50 in my case) there should be an extra 'half click' if the rider wants to trim and push the cage out further to avoid chain rub or should you just change to the big ring and there's no more movement?

I used to have the trim feature but have just adjusted things, tightened up the front gear cable and now the trimming has gone.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mine is set up for trim
  • pj101
    pj101 Posts: 31
    I can only trim mine in the 34 ring. Are they set up wrong?
    The only chain rub I get in the 50, where I'd trim is on the largest 2 rings on the cassette, which I don't like using on the anyway due to stretching the chain, so I change to the 34. So even if it is set up wrong I don't think I'd be using the trim on my 50 anyway.
  • chatlow
    from what I can gather, one main click from small cog to large, then another little click (sometimes doesn't click on mine) to trim the cage out. I've been playing with the cable tension and have it working again. Means I can avoid chain rub on all gears throughout the 50 cog - although, like pj101 said, I don't like using anything about 25t at the back with my 50 front.

I also have this trim set up at the back so when I reach 28 sprocket, the shifters allows me to move the cage over a tiny bit more but I never have to
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you over tighten the front mech cable you will lose the trim, slacken the cable slightly and as if by magic the trim will reappear.
  • chatlow
    going to sort mine out again after work. is it best to screw the barrel adjuster next to the shifter anti-clockwise fully then secure the front mech cable and tighten the barrel adjuster if needed?