Neat cold Vodka

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited October 2013 in The bottom bracket
There's a lot out there that claim to be good, for instance Chase Vodka (supposedly award winning)... but if you like a chilled neat shot 'Indy Jones style' (no point talking about Vodka when it's mixed IMO) then, as common as it may be, Absolut Blue would be my choice...

Any 'neat' people out there with suggestions to try?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Grey Goose.
    Standard.
    Żubrówka

and if you know any Poles the "Brown" Vodka sorry no idea of the brand is a killer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I really like Grey Goose
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • pak-man
    pak-man Posts: 76
    Another vote here for Grey Goose, straight out of the freezer
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cheap vodka, snorted through a straw, job done. :wink:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Smirnoff blue... out of the freezer.

I dont drink vodka any other way but neat and ice cold

Grey goose is good.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    polish pure spirit

serve direct from deep freeze in deep frozen vodka glasses

it's illegal in more american states than assault rifles, and smooooooooth (until your throat lining warms up)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Black Smirnoff
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    Russian Standard if i'm going budget - best of the cheaper vodkas by far imho. Otherwise I make the effort to get Stolichnaya Elit (conical bottle with a black conical cap). It's hard to come by, costs a bomb, but is genuinely delicious and probably the best vodka you can get your hands on in this country.
  • My Russian friend came out with a load of obscure vodkas that he rated, none of which I'd ever heard of. Of the mainstream brands he gave Grey Goose the thumbs up (and nothing else that I recall).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I drink bourbon and golden rum neat and find I can distinguish the various flavours and drinks with no problems. Vodka however is something that eludes me, so please help me out and tell me what is it that makes them different in the taste?
  • Try Rains vodka if you want to drink it neat. Only found it in US and France to date but really good.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I drink bourbon and golden rum neat and find I can distinguish the various flavours and drinks with no problems. Vodka however is something that eludes me, so please help me out and tell me what is it that makes them different in the taste?

Mmmmmm Bourbon. Asda usually have Buffalo Trace or Woodford reserve which are both good.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    meursault wrote:

Mmmmmm Bourbon. Asda usually have Buffalo Trace or Woodford reserve which are both good.

Woodford reserve is on offer at £22 at the moment I believe. You'd be nuts to not buy it at that price quite frankly, it's one of the better ones even at it's regular price. Unfortunately Buffalo Trace is now bottled at 40% rather than 45% and it's flavour has suffered as a result.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    meursault wrote:

Woodford reserve is on offer at £22 at the moment I believe. You'd be nuts to not buy it at that price quite frankly, it's one of the better ones even at it's regular price. Unfortunately Buffalo Trace is now bottled at 40% rather than 45% and it's flavour has suffered as a result.

45 to 40? well spotted, I don't think I would have noticed. Thanks will get some reserve.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347

I got very drunk on a bottle of Laphroaig once which put me off Whisky for life. I cannot even smell it without being giddy and nautious. I used to like Bushmills 8 year old.
    In Sweden I was introduced to Vodka - stone cold out of the freezer in a chilled shot glass. It is like Niagara/Sahara. You get this cold viscous liquid and then this dry sensation. In time, you can distinguish the flavours. If you don't mix, apart from being a little dry - no hangover. I like Absolute and Finlandia.

Vodka is pure.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Grey Goose every time, lovely straight out of the freezer in a frozen shot glass.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Out of the freeze, in an ice-cold glass, they all taste the same to me, which is quite good.

Getting drunk on fine malt whiskey is the height of foolishness, that is what cider is for.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MichaelW wrote:
    Out of the freeze, in an ice-cold glass, they all taste the same to me, which is quite good.

Getting drunk on fine malt whiskey is the height of foolishness, that is what cider is for.
    Agreed.
    After 6 malts you may as well drink Grouse.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    Must try this Grey Goose stuff, not heard a bad word said about it on here.

Not strictly cold vodka, but has anyone tried chucking vodka on the heater element in a sauna and inhaling? Heard it can give a quick hit but maybe just an urban myth. Unfortunately I don't frequent saunas so have never had the opportunity...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Wouldn't the alcohol be the first thing to evaporate?

+1 for Absolut
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,509
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Err, that's why I said inhale...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fuddymox
    fuddymox Posts: 384
    BigJimmyB wrote:

+1 for Absolut

Or go on fire?

Never been a fan of vodka (too many memories of horrendous hangovers from my youth) but I am now tempted to drink it in a more civilised manner with the frozen shot glass. May get a bottle of Grey Goose for the coming festivities.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I once went out with a girl who was taking Russian lessons and she took me to meet her teacher one time. She told the teacher that I liked vodka.

"You like vodka? You want some real Russian vodka?"
    "Yes please."
    Out comes the bottle, she gets a fairly big wine glass and fills it up. I can't believe anyone would ever drink it like this, but she hands it to me. It takes me about 5 minutes to finish the glass.
    "Why you drink so slowly? You don't like?"
    To make matters worse, the bus home was packed and I had to stand all the way.
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    nicklouse wrote:
    Grey Goose.
    Standard.
    Żubrówka

and if you know any Poles the "Brown" Vodka sorry no idea of the brand is a killer.

You probably mean this, and yes it's a good one:

zoladkowa-gorzka-z-miodem-050l-40.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Cheap vodka, snorted through a straw, job done. :wink:

Nice! I can picture it now.