Pinarello Dogma 2 Headset/Fork

JonCarpenter
JonCarpenter Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I'm building up a Dogma 2 frame and hope that someone can confirm the best way to install the fork. There are two questions I have:

1. Do you press the bottom bearing in the frame before inserting the fork or does the bearing get pushed on to the fork which is then put in the frame. If the latter do you need a special tool to do that as I do not want to damage the steerer tube

2. What is the best way to install the fork into the frame as it is a very tight fit. I've read about installing extra spacers and using the top cap to pull the fork into place. What I do not know is whether you have to be careful using this method to make sure that the compression plug does not damage the steerer. Does the action of doing up the top cap expand the compression plug?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    The best way is to fit the bearings to the frame first, ideally with a proper headset tool. If you don't have one you can use a bit of studding and two suitably sized sockets, or similar, nut on each end, and 'draw' the bearings into the frame by tightening the nuts. Be careful that your sockets (or whatever) bear on the outer race of the bearing not the inner.

If you don't have studding, just use a spacer/socket/anything, and tap the bearings in gently with a hammer. Again be careful to only apply force to the outer race, not the inner. Not elegant, but it will do the job, but be careful!

Then insert the forks. To seat them up into the bearings I used a piece of soft wood or plastic, rounded edges, and nest this in between the fork legs under the fork crown, then gently tap against the wood/plastic with a soft hammer. Gently. Tap, tap, tap, and the forks will go in.

Well. that's what I did with mine, and all seems fine!