Shoot a goat for Africa.

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,089
edited October 2013 in The cake stop
I keep getting leaflets through the door from Christian Aid - "Buy a goat for Africa".
As my family have been involved with conservation in Kenya, we have seen the effect of goats. They turn green areas into savannah and savannah into desert. Goat herds are getting bigger and bigger.
There is a corridor between Somalia and Addis Abbaba which is getting wider and wider as the goats are being herded to go to market. The urban populace love Goat/Bush meat.
Unfortunately, the herders are getting into contact with big cats, especially Leopards and the corridor is a track of devastation.
Some may say, they have no other choice. They do. There are sheep varieties that graze and not 'browse' like goats do and having huge herds of herbivores is counter productive to agriculture that may sustain the poorest better than the proceeds of goat meat which is spent on guns, alcohol and new wives!

Despite sending letters with no reply questioning their campaign to Christian Aid, the leaflets still come through the door.
If you get a leaflet asking you to buy a goat for Africa, please don't: Shoot the feckers.

Environmental rant over, i'll feck off back to BB. Thanks for reading.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I keep getting leaflets through the door from Christian Aid - "Buy a goat for Africa".
    As my family have been involved with conservation in Kenya, we have seen the effect of goats. They turn green areas into savannah and savannah into desert. Goat herds are getting bigger and bigger.
    There is a corridor between Somalia and Addis Abbaba which is getting wider and wider as the goats are being herded to go to market. The urban populace love Goat/Bush meat.
    Unfortunately, the herders are getting into contact with big cats, especially Leopards and the corridor is a track of devastation.
    Some may say, they have no other choice. They do. There are sheep varieties that graze and not 'browse' like goats do and having huge herds of herbivores is counter productive to agriculture that may sustain the poorest better than the proceeds of goat meat which is spent on guns, alcohol and new wives!

Despite sending letters with no reply questioning their campaign to Christian Aid, the leaflets still come through the door.
    If you get a leaflet asking you to buy a goat for Africa, please don't: Shoot the feckers.

Environmental rant over, i'll feck off back to BB. Thanks for reading.

Despite the jovial nature of the rant you have a fair point. In some areas of Africa they are a scourge and are like locusts, ravaging large swathes of land. Shooting them and turning them into Curry Goat is really the only option.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Took Pinar's advice.

I went out last night and shot a dozen goats. The local farmer will be well pi$$ed off this morning.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Took Pinar's advice.

I went out last night and shot a dozen goats. The local farmer will be well pi$$ed off this morning.

Not this happy little chappy i hope ?

goat.jpeg
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    2FF11CCC-79E4-4903-97C5-8836A2B48698-449-000000FAFDB364FC_zpsfa44380c.jpg

Imagine herds of these roaming the Serengeti.

Back to the OP. I believe you can kill a goat by staring into its eyes. Given the proper training of course.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    seanoconn wrote:
    I believe you can kill a goat by staring into its eyes. Given the proper training of course.
    Are you kidding?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    GiantMike, there has been a film made about it called The Men Who Stare At Goats. :lol:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    diamonddog wrote:
    GiantMike, there has been a film made about it called The Men Who Stare At Goats. :lol:
    Yes, but mine was a witty pun. Do keep up! :wink:
  • ballysmate
    I see a goat sailing right over DD's head! :lol:
  • ballysmate
    Sean has been practising his George Clooney look. :lol:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Point taken :lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306