Yellow vs clear glasses

lotus49
lotus49 Posts: 763
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I was out yesterday and it got rather dark all of a sudden. I ended up taking off my cycling glasses because it was really too dark to be wearing them.

I started cycling last winter and I kept to daylight hours but the days are getting shorter and I'd like to be able to go out in poor light but still be able to protect my eyes from flying beasties and gravel so I am intending to buy some glasses with either clear or yellow lenses.

Is there anything to be said for yellow over clear? I don't wear glasses normally and I have only ever worn sunglasses so I don't really know whether there would be anything to choose between the two.

Comments

• I use yellow / amber at night and they are ok, and they do 'lift' clarity in low light conditions.

However, I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a set of clear lens glasses as during a pre dawn ride last week it started to rain pretty heavily, and at one stage I took my glasses off to get some water out of my eye and realised that I could see quite a lot better without them on!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The 'contrast-enhancing' lenses only work up to a point. I find that the window between full dark lenses and clear lenses is too small to really bother with them most of the time.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think if you are riding places that you don't see lots of cars then clear is as sensible as you'll get.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    For me - If it's dull it's yellow, light it's clear and bright it's dark.
  • Reubs01
    Reubs01 Posts: 32
    I bought a nice set of glasses with interchangeable lenses. Dark, clear and yellow. Job done! http://www.bloceyewear.com/leopard
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited October 2013
    I have both.
    I prefer yellow in low light.
    YMMV.

Edit:- The reason I have both is that I got a good deal on a set of Oakleys with clear lenses. I like yellow so much more that I bought a set of yellow. The combined price was still below most sellers and I have a set of clear as spare. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yellow is a good option. When it's dull it makes it look brighter - so you're happy riding longer.

At night I think yellow are as good as clear. I'd not bother with bothe sets of lenses.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have a selection of lens for my RPs; orange for dull, blue for normal to bright and sunny, and photochromic clear for overcast to rain which let too much sun light in if it suddenly gets bright. I'll be changing the latter for black as the orange work fine in overcast to rain conditions.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I was using yellow but have recently bought photochromics. The yellow were very good but the photochromics are better. I use Tifosi 'light night' lenses and really rate them. The shade transition is very fast and the shade spread is massive.

http://www.tifosioptics.com/products/0010302131/

I always find it interesting how your eyes tune out the yellow tint within within a minute or so of putting yellow lenses on.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    As said Amber for low light. Clear for night.

If you're in a city of ride mostly where there are street lights then amber are great.
  • If it's dull then I'll go with yellow\amber or perhaps even blue (which is very good if it does brighten), but clear if it's more likely to be poor light around dawn and dusk.

Dunedin397
  • from a cricketing background, in low light conditions, the amber/yellow lenses help clarity of certain colours with a ball coming at you fast.

when cycling i interchange between amber and pink, when its not sunny, seeing as the mood takes.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Reading the mixed opinions has led me to decide on buying some with interchangeable lenses. That way, if I find I prefer one to the other or that one is better in low light rather than at night, I am still OK.

Thanks for the replies.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Go to you local industrial supplies outlet and get some decent Bolle safety glasses for 3-4 quid. They look fashionable, are nice and deep to keep the cold out and fit well. No need to spend more and there are a few style to choose from.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    The latest Oakely transitions/photochromic/whatever "clear black iridium" lenses are great, I just wear them permanently now in all conditions. They are more or less completely clear in low light / dark and offer as much protection as you need in full sunlight in northern Europe.