SS v Gears? Should I buy a 29er?

expandingmaan
expandingmaan Posts: 43
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I currently ride a standard hardtail bike (24 speed). I find my gears useful as i tackle hills when commuting to work.
Im thinking of buying a single speed 29er on as budget if anyone could recommend me one? maybe the Vitus Dee?

Would you guys recommend buying a single speed to commute over a geared bike. As I love the idea of simplicity and cleaner looking bike with the single speed 29ers.

What are your experiences?

Thanks!! much appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gears and no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd try doing your rides in a gear similar to what you'd buy in a SS and see how you get on. Then you'll realise.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Odd.

First you say 'I find my gears useful' then you suggest ditching them :?:

I find my arms are useful - should I keep them?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either you can manage your commute single speed or you cannot, you may find you have to gear down so much for the hills you then loose a lot of speed, remembering the days you'll have tired legs and a heavy duty headwind.....

I do my commute on a 1x9 with an 11-28 cassette (46T up front) I could lose the top 3 gears without issue really (only use on 2 shortish downhill stretches) and struggle through without the lowest (but it would hurt) but for my commute it would probably add about 5 minutes (onto 26) if I had to do the whole lot in what is currently my second gear (46/25) which is probably the tallest I could get away with as a single speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    So is this just a commuting bike? Why a 'ATB' as opposed to a road bike of some sort?

What's the commute like?

I do 15 hilly miles each way, sometimes ss sometimes geared as the mood takes me. It's nice to have a choice, but always on a road bike.

Edit - @ TheRookie I regeared the SS from ~69" to 74" recently. I did wonder how on earth I'd make it up the steepest hill on the commute, 1:10 for a 20 metre section, but it does seem to happen. I think it's easy to imagine a hill couldn't be climbable in a certain gear but when it comes to it, it's not so bad.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    There is something to be said for having a dedicated commuting bike (whatever you go for) - puncture proof slick tyres, rigid forks, mudguards, rack, decent lights & not too flashy so its less likely to be nicked. Low maintenance through single speed or hub gears does make sense but it'snt a major issue in my experience. This way you also keep a dedicated off road machine with chunky tyres, suspension set up for off road etc - ready to go.

In other words think what you need the bike(s) to be good at 1st and worry about this other stuff second.

Personally I've used s/s on my commute and it was fine. Good around town but less good on the open road or offroad. Gears offer flexibility. As far as MTBs go I wouldn't worry about wheel size either way despite the seemingly endless deabate about it, tyre choice is more important.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    passout wrote:
    There is something to be said for having a dedicated commuting bike (whatever you go for).
    This - very much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    BigAl wrote:

They do come in quite handy.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BigAl wrote:

Especially when you walk.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    BigAl wrote:

I see what you did there.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Single speed is good, takes a bit of getting used to but as long as you attack climbs rather than trying to just plod up them it's fine.
  • Sounds like you need the gears, if you like the look of single speed why not look at an 8 speed Alfine.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20