Fulcrum racing 7 freehub sheered

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Well that's interesting - on the way home from work and the bike starts to rattle a bit. Isolated it to the cassette - shifting became a bit iffy. Stopped the bike at a convenient place and removed the back wheel - the bottom sprocket fell off! The retaining nut had sheered the freehub body :(
Replacement freehubs are £60 - about 1/2 the pice of a wheelset!

Now what?!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You should be able to get them for £50 - look for the low end Campagnolo labelled ones; they might be a bit cheaper.

In the meantime, harvest the bearings, the pawls and the pawl retention springs as you might need those.

Failing that, ask politely around if anyone has replaced their freehub lately due to worn bearings and can you have it - normally you'd expect the freehub body to be the last thing to fail so if you can find one with knackered bearings, you can then replace them with the ones from your freehub. I can't help as I just refurbished my own freehub bearings (on a set of Khamsins that only cost me about £50 so a new freehub was never going to happen!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    Ta. Will keep an eye out for spares!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always been a tiny bit careful tightening up cassette lockrings on Shimano freehubs; that end of a freehub looks quite thin and the threads look like they'd be easy to damage. And Parcelfarce managed to take a chunk out of the threaded part of the freehub when I ordered some R501's recently.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Campag? 10sp?

I've a Khamsin you can have for £50, if you can collect.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowbike
    Shimano ... needs to be 9speed compat which I think they all are...

But thanks for the offer :)
  • slowbike
    Now I've got a mo I'll describe how I think I broke the freehub ...

I bust a spoke on my best bike wheel - 10speed - took it into the LBS to be mended and as it's a bladed spoke they had to order it in ...
    So ... rather than ride the NF sportive on my tricross I decided to swap the wheel over to my Tarmac - prob is, Tricross is 9 speed ... ok no biggy - just swap the cassette over.
    Tried it without the spacer inside and the cassette wobbled, so needed a spacer - put the spacer in and tightened it all up - rode the 70 miles no problem ..
    Back home had to decide whether to swap the wheel back to the tricross or leave it on the tarmac - left it where it was until I'd got the other wheel back and commuted in on Monday - it's only 11 miles so nothing too taxing ...
    On the way back home I'd got to the top of a climb and noticed the bike was rattling a lot - quick check on the move indicated it was the cassette .. arse, it's come undone - oh well ... still rolling ok so carried on for 3 miles to the closest village, just soft pedalling ...
    Took the wheel off in the village and the sprocket fell off ...
    Managed to thumb a lift from a passing van (O'Neil rep - thanks mate :) )

Examined the wheel at home and I can surmise that the spacer had indeed allowed me to tighten up the cassette, but it had also limited the depth that the nut screwed in by - with the less than ideal depth it stressed the remaining thread too much and caused it to fracture. It must have started before the sportive - so pretty lucky it lasted 85 miles! Just as well I didn't try to do the epic distance!