Is this an epic of a bad idea?

matt581
matt581 Posts: 219
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
So, my commute bike needs a wash and i had a brain wave.

Stop on the way home at the garage two minutes from home. Quick blast with there jet wash then home over the road for a lube.

I know its not great to use them on mountain bikes with suspension as it gets into the seals.

Any major reason as to not do it on a road bike?

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It can wash the grease out of wheel and bottom bracket bearing if you wash them directly with the jet washer. Should be fine on frame and wheel rims.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Headset, wheel and bottom bracket bearings will get water ingress. The chain will need careful drying out and reoiling. And you'll probably get water in your frame as well.

It's not a great idea really. Bikes are nowhere near as weather resistant as cars.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    matt581 wrote:
    So, my commute bike needs a wash and i had a brain wave.

Stop on the way home at the garage two minutes from home. Quick blast with there jet wash then home over the road for a lube.

I know its not great to use them on mountain bikes with suspension as it gets into the seals.

Any major reason as to not do it on a road bike?

Road bikes have seals too! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    matt581 wrote:
    So, my commute bike needs a wash and i had a brain fail.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've hosed and jetwashed my FS MTB plenty of times. You can do it carefully (far enough back that you're not blasting water into/grease out of anywhere) without doing any damage. I don't really see the point on a road bike though as it's a very different kind of dirt. 10 minutes with a sponge and hot soapy water is normally enough for my commuter. It's the claggy mud on the MTB that a hose is good for getting rid of.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    The main reason was for an ease of use, i live in a flat so don't have a garden to do it in.

I basically did what as you have said bails, stood far back so as not to push the jet into any sensitive areas. The bike didn't fall apart this morning.